• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What alcohol can you tolerate best? Wine, cane based spirits or grain based spirits?

Basilico

Florida
I can only tolerate about 1 serving of wine and cider, even though they are my favorites (more than that and I tend to get a headache). I don't seem to have this problem with beer or spirits. I thought it was sulfites, but even cider without sulfites seems to bother me, not sure what's happening there. Alcohol is generally pretty neutral for me (though I can't tolerate a lot of it so I rarely drink more than 2, though I can handle up to 3 without ending up with a lampshade on the head).

However, I absolutely can not drink at night, or else it severely screws up my sleep cycle. If I have a couple of drinks at night, I am guaranteed to wake up at like 3 or 4am and not fall back asleep and feel wasted and hung over the next day even if I never got drunk. I wonder if anyone else has this issue?

purrsian

However, I absolutely can not drink at night, or else it severely screws up my sleep cycle. If I have a couple of drinks at night, I am guaranteed to wake up at like 3 or 4am and not fall back asleep and feel wasted and hung over the next day even if I never got drunk. I wonder if anyone else has this issue?
When I could still drink, I very much had this problem. I had to mix my drinks with pepsi max, because normal pepsi was too much (sugar plus caffeine plus alcohol) - I'd be awake and jittery at 3am, heart beating like crazy. Still would happen to an extent without the sugar. I felt the effects of caffeine more than the alcohol and would feel super excitable but not very drunk yet.

In contrast to some of you guys, when I was younger (pre-CFS) I didn't get hangovers at all. It was wonderful. My mum never really did either, so maybe genetics. Got a bit worse after 25 years old, but in the normal way. Then sudden change to horrible hangovers at the slightest bit of alcohol last year.

I do miss having it to perk me up for social events and ease a little social anxiety! So now everyone gets to see being my normal zombie self instead :)

Hey guys,

I tried some wine a few days back. More like 3/4 of a 750ml bottle.

I felt great. My symptoms were great. I started to gave trouble talking these few months as I got worse, but on the alcohol I was talking like I used to six months back.

So I guess it's just the grain based alcohol that I don't take well.

But I hated the glutamate rush in the morning. Like @Hip pointed out in another post. Had to use clonazepam to balance things. But some experimenting to do for sure. Maybe in small quantities.

Regards,
Arun.