• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What about the other B vitamins with methylation?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I want to start methylation again. Can someone explain to me, really dumbed down please, how the other B's come into play?

Because of crap adrenals I currently take 500 mgs B5 and I want to add B6 in the mornings. I can't take multi's because the smell gags me. I just want to start with these 2.

All I need to know is if it's ok to take these with methylation.

And did I say dumb it down? Like for a 2nd grader please! :)

PeterPositive

A little B2 and B3 would be necessary to support the folate cycle, so the essentials would be:
B9 (methylfolate) supported by B2 and B3 (NAD) +
B12 (methylcobalamin) +
B6 (usually recommended)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I know about the methylfolate and B12. What I am asking about is it ok to take B5 and B6 in the mornings?

What is NAD? That isn't on anything I've seen re: the Deadlock Quartet. Also, I can't take the B's that are the orange color. Even thinking about it makes me gag.

I can't grasp how methylation works so I pretty need someone to lead me like a lamb to the slaughter.

sregan

I know about the methylfolate and B12. What I am asking about is it ok to take B5 and B6 in the mornings?

What is NAD? That isn't on anything I've seen re: the Deadlock Quartet. Also, I can't take the B's that are the orange color. Even thinking about it makes me gag.

I can't grasp how methylation works so I pretty need someone to lead me like a lamb to the slaughter.

NAD is active (coenzymated) B3, NADH is even more active B3

PeterPositive

PeterPositive

I don't see any problem with that.

B2 and B3 are indispensable for the MTHFR enzyme to do its work:
http://www.nchpeg.org/nutrition/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=452&tmpl=component

https://books.google.it/books?id=9y-iHQ0NLjMC&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80&dq=NADPH in methylation cycle&source=bl&ots=K_rrCARc6v&sig=Uuxhjh8D5bBBwoTab8PxPCn68Q8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Xz6uVP3tN4r8UMG_gaAI&ved=0CFcQ6AEwBw#v=onepage

In general, that's why a basic B complex is recommended, along with B12 and B9.

cheers

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I can't read easily, and definitely not the SMP so I don't remember anyone talking about those B's but that doesn't mean it's not there. I know they are not in the deadlock quartet Freddd talked about.

I have to add things very slowly so we'll see how it goes.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had a horrible reaction to B6. I felt more fogged than usual then about the time it started to "wear off" I started yawning like crazy and then crashed.

This is the same thing that happened with pregnenolone except I felt good before the crash.

PeterPositive

I had a horrible reaction to B6. I felt more fogged than usual then about the time it started to "wear off" I started yawning like crazy and then crashed.

This is the same thing that happened with pregnenolone except I felt good before the crash.
Maybe too much B6? How much did you take?

PeterPositive

I think 50 mgs. Thought that was low.
Au contraire :) That's a lot.
Few people need that much. And starting with such dose is an overkill, especially if you are sensitive.
B6 should be started at 2-5mg, then gradually bringing it up to, say, 10mg. (500% RDA)

More than that can be used in stubborn homocysteinuria, specific B6 deficiencies, pyroluria...

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Well when I looked this seemed like the lowest dose. I can crush it and take a lower dose that way. Not a big deal.

Don't talk to me about homcystenadlk;dfljk;ldjf;ldjkkl etc, it makes about as much sense to me as what I just typed. I don't understand, can't understand and don't try to understand science.