• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What about Health Canada ?

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Health Canada,
I believe is the Canadian equivalent of our HHS. ( I linked to their "about " page) They sponsored the CCC.
Can they not be roused to make a statement standing by their own government's definition, etc...

Can the Canadian patients contact HC and get them to stand up and speak ?

Ember

My doctors are using the ICC without any direction from Health Canada.

Undisclosed

@beaker

I think Canadians might want to ask Health Canada to actually include ME on their list of illnesses on their website as it seems to be absent. :mad:

Ember

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) is listed under A-Z Chronic Diseases along with this link: Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners
Icons-External-Link.gif

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
To clarify : I'm not Canadian. But it occurred to me that CCC was their government's official stance.
There has to be a way to rally their government to stand behind their own clinical definition.

Dear Head of Health Canada,
Can you believe those self important Americans are trying to undermine, not only their own experts, but your official government publication on ME/CFS ? How dare they ! Please contact your American equivalent Kathleen S. and tell her you'd appreciate a little respect. That your CCC is where it's at. Don't take any crap from those cheeky Americans.

Ok. Not those words, but you get the idea. I am not at all familiar with Health Canada and how they work.
Any Canadians think it would be worth coming up w/ some kind of letter campaign to get them to stand up for their CCC ?

Chris

This Canadian has been involved recently with fighting HC over the fraudulent "independent" committee set up by the Royal Society of Canada to review "Safety Code 6", which "regulates " the amount of RF radiation deemed "safe." I don't think they are likely to be helpful or interested, but may inquire further. Generally they follow US guidelines, I think. Chris

Chris

Thanks, Ember--you are quite right--HC does link to the CC document--the other link is to the program/symposium set up by Ellie Stein in Calgary in 2008, which had some very interesting sounding papers--for instance, Patrick Neary of Regina showed that "oxygen flow to the brain is slow to recover when patients with ME/CFS stand up." Alas, much research on us seems to go in circles, or repeats, without coming to firm conclusions that really lead to treatment, though perhaps that is finally changing. But I a not aware that HC is funding much research--do you know of any?