Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Western lifestyle may limit the diversity of bacteria in the gut

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., Aug 5, 2016.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150416132203.htm

sarah darwins likes this.
  2. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Anyone else thinking... well... duh?!

Pasteurized milk, treated and filtered water, education on handling raw meat, hand sanitizers, etc... etc... etc...

are all tied to reducing exposure to bacteria... ergo there would be less bacteria we get exposed to... ummm... duh?

TigerLilea and sarah darwins like this.
  3. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Yeah, quite.

I'm thinking their model doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Do bacteria really have much more chance to pass from one New Guinea tribesperson to another than would be the case among, say, New Yorkers who take the subway twice a day?

I would have thought dietary practices — processed food, sterile growing conditions, antibiotics in farming etc. etc. would be much more likely culprits.

GreyOwl and PennyIA like this.
  4. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Who let the dogs out?!! Woof! Woof!

@A.B.

Look at what is happening in China. I was shocked to learn they have the same Western Lifestyle health issues. And violence against doctors is a new concept to me also. This in an approved abstract for the upcoming Stanford Medicine X conference in September 2016.

Mark Heitner, MD, MBA

"1. Doctors are under siege. Doctors may see 100-200 patients/day. They are known to supplement their meager income by ordering unnecessary tests and medicines.

2. Our research showed that patients often wait hours in lengthy queues for a cursory consultation that they do not understand. Health literacy is low. Violence against doctors is all too common.
    China faces multiple medical catastrophes:

• 114 million have diabetes
    • 493 million have prediabetes
    • 267 million have hypertension
    • 150 million have major depression
    • 27% of global cancer deaths are in China
    Decaying dietary and lifestyle habits (68% of Chinese men smoke) have exacerbated these crises."

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    Add to the list all of the chemicals that are added to our foods, plastics, toxic fumes we breath in, toxins in lotions we put on our skin, etc. It all adds up over time and destroys our bacteria.

See more popular forum discussions.