1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wessley and White at work again

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by shrewsbury, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Annikki

Annikki

I thought I'd share this. It's a story from someone with another Wessely-derided autoimmune disorder and she informs us what they teach nurses and about "somatoform" disorders in school. I always wondered how doctors get indoctrinated into Wessely ideology in school.

http://www.speckblog.net/2006/10/06/something-happened/

2. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    Hi Annikki

No wonder that person was spitting blood!

I will read just about anything, and I did go through a phase of reading all sorts of medical "histories". It's amazing how many major discoveries were made and pretty conclusively proved, but rejected for years by the medical profession. It's pretty much like the church believing that the Earth was the centre of the universe. There are so many examples - from infection in childbirth transmitted by surgeons' hands to bacteria causing the majority of stomach ulcers. But the longest-running one is that on the need for vitamins and minerals. Our ignorance on these is astounding: all we really know is what can kill us, either minimum or maximum amounts, but no real idea about what we need for optimum health.

Sir William Osler is often called the father of modern medicine, and his most famous quotation is "Listen to your patient, he is telling you the diagnosis." Sounds like my kind of doctor.

See more popular forum discussions.