• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wesselys Words Revisited

aprilk1869

Re: people wanting ME to be an incurable virus rather than a psychiatric condition and also how alzheimer's is considered a psychiatric condition.

Why is it that alzheimer's has been linked to the herpes simplex virus then?

Eli Lilly developed a drug to get rid of beta-amyloid plaque yet people got worse rather than better. Dr. Ruth Itzhaki and Mark Wozniak found that the beta-amyloid plaque contained the herpes simplex virus. It's thought that the body produces this plaque in order to protect the brain from the virus. They want to see if anti-virals will be a good treatment for AD.

http://coconutketones.blogspot.com/2010/08/bad-news-for-eli-lilly-drug-trial-more.html
http://coconutketones.blogspot.com/2010/12/more-on-herpes-simplex-virus-and.html

Yogi

Cheers Prof Hooper!!

Thank you Daisy May and Prof Hooper again.!!!!

Alot of the articles require log-ons nowadays. If anyone has already got log-ons can they please copy and paste Prof Hooper's article on every article that was published this week. (I am too ill to do so - Sorry)

Although this was an attack by Simon on the sick and disabled I think politically astute members of the public will see that the Radio 4 show ironically shows Simon in a worse light than the ME community itself. Simon seems to be getting very desperate that he has to resort to this sort of malicious torrent of abuse on disabled people.

It appears this may have already backfired on the BBC:D:D:D
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/262205/BBC-turns-the-air-blue-at-8-10am

Enid

Thanks Yogi - I managed a letter to the Express at least. (Prof Hooper's impressive response going far and wide one hopes).

max

The Wessely persues this method of denigrating ME every so often - it always follows the same format - it always results in the ME community shouting their 'defense'. Why should we be worried what the media says about us this time? I don't mind being labelled as an ME terrorist, makes no difference to me - I must add at this point I have never (to the best of my knowledge) contacted the Wessely - (unless he reads this forum) however, I am thinking of doing so now. Politely of course.

Bob

The Wessely persues this method of denigrating ME every so often - it always follows the same format - it always results in the ME community shouting their 'defense'. Why should we be worried what the media says about us this time? I don't mind being labelled as an ME terrorist, makes no difference to me...

I agree with you Max, that his insults are meaningless.
What I find offensive is his promoting ME as a psychiatric condition.

Firestormm

Great work Firestormm. Thank you.

Bob, my reason for transcribing was to ensure that what the Professor said - in this instance but also others in general - was a true reflection of the actual interview that took place.

E.g. I can't quite see reference to 'police protection' in the transcript can you? And yet the Professor intimates it is there.

I have a great concern that people will perhaps not even listen to the interviews and/or even read the newspaper stories, let alone find a transcription, before letting anger lead them to make what will be construed as further attacks.

The Sunday Times commentary is a further case in point - but not one for this thread perhaps.

Firestormm

Absolutely. I think others are available now. I also took the time to do one for the interviews on BBC Wales.

Of course I am not saying anyone shouldn't respond - that would be a silly thing for me to suggest. Though sometimes remaining quite is a strength too.

At least something to consider perhaps. Do 'we' really need - as a 'community' - to react all the time? I don't know the answer Bob. Really I don't...

max

Absolutely. I think others are available now. I also took the time to do one for the interviews on BBC Wales.

Of course I am not saying anyone shouldn't respond - that would be a silly thing for me to suggest. Though sometimes remaining quite is a strength too.

At least something to consider perhaps. Do 'we' really need - as a 'community' - to react all the time? I don't know the answer Bob. Really I don't...

Don't worry firestormm - I will make it clear that I represent no one else but myself and my partner. There are many voices here, and there is more than one 'community' - if I thought it possible for all the different ME groups/advocates to present a single voice (now that would be powerful) then I would work towards that. The truth is, ME advocacy has become a business - sad but alas true.

Thanks for the transcript - they take some writing eh? Its even worse when you read his words - I wonder if he realises some people have a memory?

'We' are now out of the news for the time being, the Wessely is back in his lair, and his work is done - a whole weekend has passed in the minds of the masses - they think they have forgotten his message but they have not - it will happen again and we will be up in arms again............

vive la revolution.

max

SOC

...it has included abuse intimidation death threats vilification on internet websites...

Show me the evidence, W.

"Vilification on internet websites" is a fact of life for public figures. Do they all have their "his mail routinely scanned for suspect devices"?

...a serious {series?} of official complaints alleging personal and professional misconduct to universities ethics oversight boards and the General Medical Council..

Are legitimate complaints about misconduct considered abusive behavior? Isn't that what oversight boards are for? Patients are criticized for this?

His argument only holds if he considers himself to be above the normal oversight that all physicians and researchers are subject to.

...more often indirect intimidation through my employer through the General Medical Council...

Feeling the heat, eh? GMC starting to look a bit askance at you? About time....

Yes yes clearly I think it is maliciously unfair and unjustified and intended to hurt all of it intended to denigrate and you know try and as these campaigns do to try and make you into a kind of a leper so that no one will anything to do with this terrible person.

Whoa, there's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

...because of that we have taken security advice and police advice you know we do quite a few of the things that people who work in this institution with animals...

Interesting that he doesn't say what the police advice was, only what he chose to do. Neat word manipulation to imply that the police told them that anti-terrorist security was needed without actually saying the police told them so.

Again I say, let's see the evidence.

I am particularly interested in what you think this is actually all about? What this motivates these attacks?

Interesting technique. Why didn't he ask the people criticizing W what it's all about? Is W some kind of authority on what his detractors are trying to say? Crap journalism at its best.

The whole is a bag of nonsense. :D