• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wessely's next pie

Mohawk1995

I beg to differ with Mr. Lewis. Not that I wish to live under a benign dictator, but I don't think he was thinking very clearly about what it means to live under a regime of pure greed; neither did he think clearly about the uncanny ability people have to ignore things that are good for them.

I don't disagree and I think that is what he meant by using "may be the most oppressive". I think he was emphasizing it to make a point, not to declare it as a final statement on oppression. Probably emphasizing so those in which the statement does apply will be alerted to the fact that they may be doing harm in the name of doing good.

First do no harm should be taken very seriously in my book. In order to remove the possibility of us practicing this "tyranny" in medicine, we need to be challenged in ways that make us uncomfortable much like Mr. Lewis is attempting to do. That is the discomfort that the truly humble provider will listen to. For those who do not listen, one has to wonder what if anything can break down their arrogance.