Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wessely on air at BBC 4 Radio

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by NexusOwl, Jan 9, 2017.

1. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

The hilarious thing about this is that if you believe that a CBT app will solve any mental health problems then you are probably not very sane.

2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Not saying it wouldn't be useful for teachers, but this habit of society of dumping everything they can't manage to handle on schoolteachers is becoming comically ridiculous.

The hilarious thing about this runs deeper, IMO:
    • Conversion disorder holds that patients aren't 'faking it' -- at least not consciously. They're really mentally ill enough to think that they're feeling symptoms, or they're generating some pretty severe symptoms through subconscious emotional conflict translating to physical debility.*
    • They must be damned mentally ill, then, to produce such extreme symptoms, and be convinced that they are real.
    • Chatting will fix it! Not even in-person chatting.
    This, more than anything else convinces me that Chalder et al don't actually believe we have severe conversion disorder -- they believe -- as they used to have the decency to say, in public -- that we are the 'undeserving ill', malingerers, and those out to cheat the government out of money.

Because if you believe the third point, how can you possibly support the first two?

* I just read several papers on this and I'm at that insane place where they're doing brain scans and saying that the dysfunction and damage in the brain or the way it functions is signs not of overt neurological disorder, but proof of conversion disorder. I've been joking to people that papers on conversion disorder seem to offend all logical principles. But of course that led to jokes like this one:

"Reading about conversion disorder is giving me hives!"

and

"Trying to think of conversion disorder as a logical construct is giving me a headache!"
    :rolleyes:o_O:D:rofl:

slysaint, sue la-la, Jo Best and 3 others like this.
  3. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

I dont have any info on infant schools regarding this current issue etc but previous to this weeks announcements I had been increasingly concerned about the "mindfulness" program already being rolled out in infant schools.

I find it extremely contentious via personal experience of it and the head teachers dictating to parents via the school newsletter that they should be practising the same program at home that is being implemented in schools on children as young as six.

Heres a link to the program that the government has already introduced into schools and workplaces etc. Like many other issues I find the fronting campaign creepy and the lack of public scrutiny worrying.

https://mindfulnessinschools.org/

Anyone care to look at the above claims objectively? There's something very icky about lots of this kind of stuff especially when one realises claims made by psychiatry seems to have some kind of free pass even when all the data often shows quite the opposite of the claims made by the very publisher of their own individual papers. Not only that but often psychiatry is deeply entwined in governmental policy and I am increasingly hearing the phrase "we need to get into schools to reach people as soon as possible", being pumped out over and over in media blitzes. That's an extremely worrying trait.

The General public really needs to wake up to many issues like this and start to look at what kind of society we are being manoeuvred into in our general complacency for trust in self proclaimed authority figures.

@Dx Revision Watch if you have time look closer at the mindfulness programme in schools and workplaces and see if you can spot a trait that is leading to, "don't believe in your own thought processes they are wrong the government can tell you what thoughts are correct and teach you how to think them". I find it quite worrying.

I never see the news in isolation and if you add all I have mentioned above to last years issues over sharing of everyone's medical records with multiple agencies including the police and research groups etc and the fact that was the last time I heard Wessely on the radio singing the praises of such a nationally rolled out scheme I seem to spend most of my time swearing at the BBC news when I am unfortunate enough to let it into my house.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Good grief!

5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Catch-22 on its head.

JaimeS likes this.
  6. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

USA
    SuperFreakonomics notes the following:

They were on to something even a century ago. Confirmation bias exists in the minds of the subjects being studied.

Snowdrop, JaimeS, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

PROOF POSITIVE ? (REVISITED) Margaret Williams 14th September 2016 - quote from page 14 - http://www.margaretwilliams.me/2016/proof-positive-revisited.pdf -

Webdog, Joh, Barry53 and 3 others like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Theresa May's speech is pure ideology - there was that recent "study", widely quoted in the conservative media that claimed that mental health care is more "cost effective" in improving "happiness" compared to other social programmes and therefore we should just invest more in mental health care.

Jo Best and Sean like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Sickening stuff.

Chalder is a nasty dangerous piece of work.

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    They can start by preventing harassment, bullying etc. That is where adults ultimately learned this behaviour - when they were growing up.

Much of mental health issues arise from a cruel society.

halcyon and Jo Best like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

It's the new opiate for the masses.

Jo Best and Snow Leopard like this.
  12. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    :vomit::ill::vomit:

Jo Best and Joh like this.
  13. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Properly measured - what's wrong with happiness as a metric?
    Not the whole one of course.

We need proper research and thought as to whole system costs of all public measures, and 'whole person' measures of illness outcome.

For example, cancer treatment is great, but measuring solely by 'did you die', without considering resultant illnesses (many people suffer significant fatigue afterwards for extended periods) in your measures of cost-effectiveness and how much a drug helps is misguided.

Or considering disability assessment.
    I suspect many of us would be quite happy to see the amount of money spent on the assessment very significantly increase so as to properly evaluate disability in a meaningful way, rather than a rushed tick-box assessment that often leads to appeals - even if that money came directly out of the benefit we are granted.

Combined with deep research into why people are economically inactive, and weighting research into diseases by their whole costs on society, including loss of tax revenue from patient and carers as well as increased benefit spend.

And yes, I do realise that unfortunately, the conservative government as a whole seems to see everything from a narrow lens of cost-saving at the point of use, never seeming to consider knock-on costs, and using research more as an excuse to be grabbed, nomatter how flimsy when it supports your agenda of reducing costs.

Sorry for the marginally linked rant, I should be doing the washing up.

Barry53 likes this.
  14. ash0787

ash0787 Senior Member

Thats how politics work, it doesn't matter what you actually do as long as you look good in the media
    and people think that you are doing something good, at the moment Theresa is changing everything in sight to how she wants it while everyone is distracted by Donald.

Barry53 and RogerBlack like this.
  15. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Suzy Chapman, Dx Revision Watch

UK
    Thanks for link @Large Donner.

Been tied up with the IAPT thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ary-care-whats-happening-across-the-uk.48710/

See more popular forum discussions.