• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wessely in news again

SilverbladeTE

Metaphorically, at this moment, and I speak as a woman who hasnt had a drink for 16 years, I am slinging an arm around your shoulder, stumbling slightly, and saying, "You and me, mate, you and me, against the world....."

sound familar? The other version is "Come over here and say that you ----- , Wesley, and then we'll see about your chess playing abilities..."

oops - forgot emoticon - :mad:

;)

sianrecovery

You've done a kind thing tonight Silverblade - sent me to bed with a smile on my face, thank you. It's been a long day, my brother had surgery for bilateral breast cancer, one of the more unsingable about consequences of a lifetime of heavy drinking for some men, but watching this made me laugh. And then feel hugely sad. Then better again.

It probably is time to get some sleep.

sianrecovery

yeah, well I didnt, hence the no booze for 16 years thing. Some of us just dont have an off switch after we take that first drink. . Quite a few of my recovery mates have ME, I dont know if its the toxicity, immune suppression, or whether they were people who were attracted to drugs/alcohol in the first place to damp down, or ramp up,dysregulated nervous systems. Or all of the above, of course. Addiction is no respecter of class or race barriers, but there's an obvious correlation between poverty and dependence, so I guess poor diet and industrial environment also play a part.
Be waiting a while for that study. Maybe we should comission The Weasel to write it - and then drop him into the bits of Baltimore they show on The Wire, armed with nothing except sarcasm, a notebook, and his own ineffable sense of superiority.