1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wessely honoured with a knighthood for his work for GWS and ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Dec 29, 2012.

1. notinfinite

notinfinite Guest

UK
    this is going to 'go' isn't it?

I agree with the view Alex has concerning the current/past stance in the UK. Best not to look coz if you do, you can't "un-look".

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Eugenics arose out of ideas of social darwinism. The ideas were valid scientific concerns in the day. The problems arose when they were taken as justification for public policy and agendas. Governments passed laws using these ideas. As I currently see it, it was a way to rubber stamp ideological policy. I see the same may, and I mean "may" not "is", may be happening with respect to social change agendas in the UK.

When half formed science, especially if controversial, is taken as justification for sweeping social change that may harm the public, questions need to be asked. When it continues in defiance of the evidence it is not working, and reasonable analysis it cannot work to fulfil its stated objectives, then there is even more reason to ask hard questions.

Should the policies with respect to DWP and ATOS be justified, then let them be seen to be justified, let the questions be answered. It is however more likely, in my current view, that the justifications used are far short of adequate. This appears to be social harm, leading to increased societal costs, to fulfil an ideological agenda. It will probably not save the UK money, or the economy, or improve democracy, it will probably harm these things, and at the expense of those least able to cope with that harm.

When government and associated institutions support research that justifies their agendas, and the potential funding bias arising from political favour might distort the research, we have Zombie Science. The world has faced Zombie Science before: eugenics and social darwinism. We woke up then, will we wake up this time?

user9876 likes this.
  3. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

LOL, You aren't the first to get distracted. It comes with this illness,eh? Like you said a very interesting subject but I want to know more about Sir whatshisname, too. I like that name.
    Take care.
    Barb

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The reason I raised the issue of science turned social movement is that BPS is becoming politicized, and therefore this may influence government and media spin and government policy, including awards given to Whatshisname or anyone else. ("Whatshisname" is a good name, I like it too.)

5. notinfinite

notinfinite Guest

UK
    I very much doubt we will wake up in enough numbers to make a difference, our democracy supplies tyranny after tyranny using zombie science par excellence and we have not yet stopped them.

6. Bob

Bob

South of England
    "Sir whatshisname". I like it. It could catch on!

7. In Vitro Infidelium

In Vitro Infidelium Guest

I would apologise but as a member of the lower orders I’ve been bred for insensitivity. :p

IVI

8. In Vitro Infidelium

In Vitro Infidelium Guest

I meant Post Modernism as the descriptor of the politics of ‘now’, with its capacity to accommodate anything that the (cough) ‘zeitgeist’ demands. Eugenics was( relative to Post Modernism) a philosophy of Modernism, although its popularity was undoubtedly rooted in pre modern prejudices – race, gender, religion etc. I’m not aware that Eugenics with a capital E has in any sense survived the profound loss of legitimacy wrought upon it by the revelations of the Nazi extermination policies.

Do ancient prejudices survive – of course, but it is one thing for a society to have a general dislike of those it sees as collectively forming an unnecessary burden, and a philosophy based on claimed science. In fact the more basic ideas of eugenics (although no one will use that name) have become an accepted part of modern societies, there are many people who are carriers of genes for heritable diseases who are choosing not to have children and of course medical abortion is practiced widely. Eugenics as a philosophy wasn’t just socially and morally flawed, it was scientifically flawed which is why it has no widespread currency long past the shock of what it produced in Germany.

I’ve no idea what you mean by Eugenics has not gone anywhere; nor its connection to Psychiatry, other than that perhaps the social environment of the 19thC which saw containment of the mad , the ‘halt’ and the ‘feckless’ as being appropriate, was contemporary with both the development of both Eugenics and Psychiatry. Psychiatrists eventually led the way in questioning the value of large scale permanent containment of people with mental illness – equating Psychiatry with Eugenics appears historically just plain wrong.

IVI

9. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    The Eugenic Legacy in Psychology and Psychiatry....(full article behind a pay wall) but the conclusion that eugenics remains an important area of enquiry in their fields seems very much alive and well.

Here
    And definition here

Wildcat likes this.
  10. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
  11. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Poor Simon Wessely, atleast his mother loves him, but we just dont have any proof of that:thumbdown:

12. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    The original petition itself has been taken down owing to (and heard only 3rd hand) complaint. Thought we had free speech here ...........the mind (yes I do have one, not imagining as once told) boggles at the implication.........legals, friends in high places, too much disturbing history in ME and psychiatry to be revealed perhaps..........etc.

Merry likes this.
  13. notinfinite

notinfinite Guest

UK
    Thanks for your thoughts. Did you enjoy your breakfast?

Wildcat likes this.
  14. simlaw2

simlaw2

15. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

UK establishment is corrupt *shocker*

16. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    :lol:

See more popular forum discussions.