The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Well-known law prof battles stigma of chronic fatigue syndrome by going public

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Antares in NYC, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Northwestern University law professor Steven Lubet goes public about his battle with ME/CFS

http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/ar...igma_of_chronic_fatigue_syndrome_by_going_pub

Very brave and positive move on his part. I applaud his courage and hope others in positions of power come forward about their experiences with the illness.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I hope others take his lead. We need to stop going along with this disease being stigmatised. Its hard, but if more people did this, I think some attitudes would start to change.

3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    It's interesting that ME/CFS patients are put in a situation where they have to 'out' themselves, for fear of stigma etc.
    I think a large proportion of the blame for this must go to the psychiatric lobby, but also the media, and the medical profession and governments.

4. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    It would be nicer if there was more detail on how it affected his everyday life (despite his acknowledged 'privileged' position) and also if this sort of story appeared in more mainstream publications. Having said that a professional journal isn't a bad place for this sort of story to appear. If his legal peers get it that isn't such a bad thing.

I woner how Steven would respond to the latest PACE spin?

snowathlete, Antares in NYC and Sasha like this.
  5. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    I left a comment, might help this gain more traction?

GG

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Best wishes to the guy.

7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I agree. I think there needs to be a normalization process, where people stop seeing it as a negative thing to be ashamed off. It is difficult though, when the comments you get back are so negative when you do tell someone you have it. I think being more open about it though could be quite benefical to us all. Perhaps we should organize a mass 'outing' together.

Woolie, Cheshire, beaker and 2 others like this.
  8. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Yes, and ironic when we are told that we cling to a ME/CFS diagnosis to avoid the stigma of mental illness.

9. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Thank you @Antares in NYC This article was a good find. I keep thinking that a young and hungry lawyer (and there are lots of them!) will see an opportunity to profit from the government's discrimination against us.

Or maybe I'm just delusional :confused:

Woolie, NK17 and Gingergrrl like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

It does sometimes seem as if mentally ill people now have a less stigmatised status than ME/CFS patients

Which ain't saying much, considering how low the status is for the mentally ill in general.

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    To this list add long standing societal pressure to ostracize and blame anyone different for any reason. Sacred be the norm. It must annoy some of them that they cannot manage to have 2.4 children.

SOC, GalaxiiGrl, jimells and 3 others like this.
  12. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Disgust at the idea of having 2.4 children who grow up to hate their parents, a house in the suburbs that is never paid off, and being an invisible cog in a mega-corporation before being condemned to poverty in old age are the main reasons I have refused to live a conventional life.

I did manage to avoid the children, the house in the 'burbs, and a corporate career. The poverty, not so much.

13. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Read it here:

http://www.thefacultylounge.org/201...in-which-a-group-of-british-psychiatrist.html

See more popular forum discussions.