• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Well, fluff a duck, look what Mikey, Trude and Pete spent the PACE £5 million on

Countrygirl

(To answer a quation below, if my memory unually serves me correctly, the DWP gave one million pounds of tax payers money to the PACE gravy train. )

Dr Keith Geraghty‏@keithgeraghty
More revelations on PACE trial, where did that £5million go; well £1800 went on christmas cards and £3773 went on laserjet printers (did the researchers not have access to printing). £13,000 on 11 Dell computers

5:12 AM - 16 Feb 201

1. Tymes Trust‏@tymestrust 18h18 hours ago
      More
      Replying to @keithgeraghty
      Good God how many printers did they buy? You can get superb laser printers very economically.

1. New conversation

2. Jane Skeates‏@EJS1958 Feb 1
      So if there were ~650 patients, that’s £2.76 each. Must have been really nice cards.

3. James Foulger‏@jifoulger Feb 16
      Only 225 cards in the years that did not include a Christmas so the cards were not going to participants and that raises who were receiving them question.

4. Sally Burch‏@KeelaToo Feb 17
      More
      It says also Birthday cards, so maybe 2 for each participant?

5. James Foulger‏@jifoulger 24h24 hours ago
      More
      225, 450, 450, 450, 250 £1,800 Recruited 641 eligible patients into four trial arms of 160 = difficulty in who received cards.

End of conversation

1. New conversation

2. British PM Kevin Pork‏@augustine_ryan Feb 16
      Out of £5m, how much of that was DWP money?

3. Amanda Yeardsley‏@AmandaYeardsley Feb 16
      £5m was the amount of the DWP funding, I believe.

4. British PM Kevin Pork‏@augustine_ryan Feb 16
      Thanks. So (to be awkward!) the £5m quoted: 1) the cost of the trial was, in total, £5m, yes? 2) ALL of that sum came from the DWP? I'm sure some of this has been gone through before but my memory is not good.

5. Amanda Yeardsley‏@AmandaYeardsley Feb 16
      Sorry, I’m mistaken. According to MEpedia, the total cost was £5m, funded by the Medical Research Council, Department of Health and DWP. Keith may be able to provide more info.

6. British PM Kevin Pork‏@augustine_ryan Feb 1
      Yes, I'm particularly interested in the breakdown of the £5m. Hopefully there will be an answer forthcoming.

7. British PM Kevin Pork‏@augustine_ryan Feb 16
      And given that the DoH and the DWP both funded, it would be interesting to find out how much they cooperated, (also) given that they were once the same department (30 years ago) but, arguably, may want the same outcome from the trial
      1f620.png

8. British PM Kevin Pork‏@augustine_ryan Feb 16
      More
      Defining 'cooperated' in this context may be somewhat intangible but the fact that TWO government departments (which overlap slightly) funded this sets off alarm bells, at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist.

9. Amanda Yeardsley‏@AmandaYeardsley Feb 16
      This is one conspiracy theory that I think has legs.

1. Sally Burch‏@KeelaToo Feb 16
      What did the Christmas cards contain I wonder? Encouragement that the therapies were performing well perhaps?

1. Chris Evans‏@Onlyfluffyone Feb 16
      e
      Amazing what information you can get... But the DWP waste lots of money on ridiculous cost cutting exercises...

DWK1_i6XkAIrZXO.jpg

0 replies1 retweet8 likes

1. Edwin Thwaites‏@EdwinThwaites Feb 16
      The first task with a research grant is to buy the team a new laptop each.

1. Marilyn Gavranovic‏@marilyn_ge Feb 16
      Great you r following the $

1. Janet‏@JanetEastham Feb 16
      More
      This is amazing. Who FOId this?

0 replies1 retweet1 like

1. Neil‏@talkingtomcat2 Feb 16
      More
      and I'm still very tired. Bugger!

0 replies0 retweets2 likes

1. Tina Rodwell‏@TinaRodwell1 Feb 16
      More
      Replying to @keithgeraghty @jcharlesworthza
      You are kidding me well Fluff a Duck they were really serious about their research

1. Jennifer Mcdonald‏@claracluckpwme 11h11 hours ago
      That’s disgusting

1. Pixie of Mookingham ✨‏@mookpixie Feb 17
      More
      This is a disgrace!

Trends for you

Wonko

Only 225 cards in the years that did not include a Christmas so the cards were not going to participants and that raises who were receiving them question.
Don't most years include a christmas? Okay that's a slight over simplification, most of the last 4.6 billion years haven't included a christmas, but most of those in the last 100 have, and PACE took place in the last 100 years, so......which years that didn't include a christmas are they talking about?

knackers323

Don't most years include a christmas? Okay that's a slight over simplification, most of the last 4.6 billion years haven't included a christmas, but most of those in the last 100 have, and PACE took place in the last 100 years, so......which years that didn't include a christmas are they talking about?

What dates did pace start and end? Maybe in those years it was after and before card sending season