• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Welcome to our newest forum, "In Memory of".

Welcome to our newest forum.

This is the place to remember those who were important in our lives, and are no longer with us.

We want to ensure privacy and respect for those we have lost, and for their families and friends. All messages will therefore be held in moderation before being posted on the forum. Our volunteers reserve the right to edit posts to remove sensitive personal information: please avoid posting personal data such as addresses or phone numbers. Please also avoid giving real-world, full names unless the member was known by that name on the forum or the family has given permission.

Please feel free to respond to any thread here. As this forum is public and exists to both honor those who have died and to comfort those who loved them, the tone of the posts should reflect this intention. Please feel free to add anecdotes, post links to the person’s discussions within Phoenix Rising...or just say how much you miss them. Though these people are gone, they are still very real to us, and not just anonymous names on a website. They were our friends, part of our community, our international family. We cannot bring them back, but we can honor them here.

Andrew

@Kina Which email address could a family member us in case one of us dies. This assumes that family member is not a forum member and is emailing notices according to a contact list.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Andrew If they click on the 'Contact Us' button at the bottom of the page, I am the one who deals with those emails and would pass on any information on the forums.

Andrew

@Andrew If they click on the 'Contact Us' button at the bottom of the page, I am the one who deals with those emails and would pass on any information on the forums.
They can, but then we have to write out this whole explanation on the contact list. Would be easier to just have an email.

The contact form is an email form. A family member would still have to write an email so I am not really seeing the problem.

Andrew

The contact form is an email form. A family member would still have to write an email so I am not really seeing the problem.

The difference is they can simply send an email from whatever device they use, rather then navigate to this forum and find a link. Simplicity encourages follow-through.

SOC

The difference is they can simply send an email from whatever device they use, rather then navigate to this forum and find a link. Simplicity encourages follow-through.
Perhaps this is a situation that would benefit from a volunteer. They'd need a throw-away email address that could be used only for family or friends reporting the loss of a member. Are there email addresses available through PR for staff members? If so, this could be a simple volunteer job -- just monitor the email address on a regular basis. It would be minimal work since (I hope) we don't lose members to death frequently.

I would not want this to be another job for our already over-worked staff. If it could be done, it should be a volunteer job for someone else, like the birthday thread.

What about when the volunteer dies?

PS: Pleased to see Andrew survived his hospital appointment. Fingers crossed for no more memorial threads for a good long while yet.

Andrew

I don't know why this has become so complicated. If you don't want to give out the contact form email address, all you have to do is create an email address in the control panel of the hosting account, with a forwarder to whichever staff member manages this project.

wdb

It's not complicated. @wdb any thoughts?

Yeah we can do any of those things, I don't really see a problem with the contact form though, any device that can send email can probably just as well manage a contact form. The only advantage of a forms is a soon as you make an email public it tends to end up in spammer databases.

Andrew

PS: Pleased to see Andrew survived his hospital appointment. Fingers crossed for no more memorial threads for a good long while yet.

Thanks. This turned out to not be like my last trip to the hospital. My doctor told me I'd be there for days, but I was in and out in 4 hours. What I'm finding out is that cancer follow-up is not only about relapse. It's also about dealing with the collateral damage from cancer treatment, and the fact that it has opened me up to other serious health risks.