• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird neurological symptoms

optimist

OK, thanks! But with me eggs seem to be OK (in regards to the neurological reactions), but not pea protein is not, which seems to be lower in those...

Gondwanaland

OK, thanks! But with me eggs seem to be OK (in regards to the neurological reactions), but not pea protein is not, which seems to be lower in those...
A dose of concentrated pea protein has less tryptophan than an egg?
Then the tyramine is the guilty one.

optimist

My reaction is neurological. The nerves in my feet and arms go bananas for hours torturing me (length seems to depend on amount), then I loose strength in arms and legs (mostly legs. If I keep on eating proteins over days it moves to the arms as well), I also get twiches in random muscles, heart palpatitions, cramps, air hunger, burning sensations (these days it is chronic in the face), dizzyness, lightheadedness. This is just too crazy. I am in desperate need of a miracle!

optimist

Just to clarify: I get this reaction to every protein so far, except eggs, but then again from those I get other nasty reactions (fatigue and anxiety). Is there aspertate in meat, fowl and fish too? If not, then it should be something else, but if so that would be interesting!!

B-complex gives me the same reaction as with eggs - fatigue and anxiety. I suppose that could also be linked to nerves, no?
I tried 1500mg Niacin for some days (as I am overmethylated) and that made me kind of tired too (and I hated the flushing as it was super intence).

Valentijn

Is there aspertate in meat, fowl and fish too?
Aspartate is an amino acid, hence it's basically in everything, including every cell in your body. If it causes problems, it would probably do so when unbound and in excessive amounts, such as free glutamatic acid does as Monosodium glutamate (MSG/E621). Unless you're ingesting pure aspartate, such as in the form of an artificial sweetener, it shouldn't be causing any problems.

optimist

Ok, no the only "excess" amino acid that I am taking is L-Glutamine (6g) and Glycine (1g), plus a whole lot of bone broth from cow. None of those give me a reaction that I am aware of, but 100-150g of any meat is enough to trigger them, and so was 20g of pea protein.

Last edited:

optimist

I discovered that taking a lot of Betaine HCL and Enzymes reduses the reactions to managable. What a relief! So, then I believe very much the problem to be undigested protein and leaky gut combined. Working on fixing that now!

optimist

Magnesium glycinate is already in my protocol, but only 200mg as ButyrAid holds 600mg (of which I have noe idea of bioavailabillity). Choline I should get plenty of from Soy Lecithin powder (2 tbs a day) I suppose? Or is it only found in granules?

optimist

Well, I had some oatmeal (about 80g which has 10g protein) and it was enough to give me nerve reactions for about an hour. I have been eating avocados every day, but now I got a reaction to those as well... avocados has 1.9g protein per 100g, I had about 350g. Right now as I am writing this I am starting to get cramps in my throat, and my legs and arms are all weak. I hope I can turn this ship very soon...

Gondwanaland

I don't remember right now what is the catch with oatmeal besides gluten cross-reactivity (termentation, histamine?)

Avocados are high histamine/tyramine/salicyltes. Avocado makes my throat close instantly as well.

I just remebered that lecithin is a methy donor and you would probably do better on choline bitartrate, just guessing.

I am sorry if you are running out of things to eat :( I have been there too and could only tolerate bland starches like rice and potatoes. :grumpy:

optimist

Yes, my doctor has told me that Lecithin is a methyldonor. Betaine HCL is also supposed to increase methylation. And the licorice root extract I am taking is increasing cortisol... But so far it seems that I sleep more easily than before, haha :)

In regards to histamines and salicylates, I did suspect those at the onset of all the symptoms, but now I really beleive that they are all neurological. The more I eat the worse reactions I get. It starts in the feet, then the arms, then the throat, then lungs and heart get affected. So if I eat minimal with protein, I normally just react in the feet and a little in the arms.

But, I am not sure how long a person can live without a proper protein intake? I have been wondering if I should try to buy pure essential amino acids and consume those instead of proteins... like these:
http://www.nowfoods.com/Amino-9-Essentials-Powder-330-g.htm

Gondwanaland

Just stumbled upon this post by Violeta that reminded me of you:
if you have congenital iron overload, maybe you are having iron overload symptoms. I have seen other people come up with Parkinsonian symptoms from taking high doses of methylfolate and methyl B12. Have you seen the B2 I love you thread? You may have depleted your B2, and B2 is very important for handling iron.

Hip

Very high gut permiabillity (lactulose/mannitol test was in the upper end of red)

This might be significant. Maes found that some ME/CFS patients achieved full remission after fixing their leaky gut. See this thread:

Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

You will notice in that thread lists of both causes and treatments of leaky gut. Note that the Blastocystis hominis that you have is listed in the causes. Chloramines (NH2Cl) in tap drinking water can also contribute to leak gut.