• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird neurological symptoms

optimist

Hello all, and long time since last.

Sorry for being a bit lengthy here!

I have the last months been working with a doctor doing functional medicine, and he has been testing me for all sorts of things. He found several issues which he believes can explain my fatigue and many of the other symptoms I am struggling with.
  • Low gut flora diversity
  • Low butyric acid
  • Low IgA in the gut
  • Low cortisol
  • High mercury (22 nmol)
  • Very high gut permiabillity (lactulose/mannitol test was in the upper end of red)
  • Protozo parasites
  • Overmethylated
He believes that the mercury is the main big issue.

Now with that background, I was hoping some of you could shed some light on this:

Just as I was about to get started with treatment I developed some new issues that neither this doctor, nor two other doctors that I've seen can explain. All the nerves in my whole body, mostly arms and legs, would be incredibly overstimulated (for lack of better term/description), lasting for hours at a time. It was tormenting me, and it seemed that it was triggered by eating food. So I reduced eating a lot and lost some kilos. Being 193cm and about 75kg that is not the best.

The whole thing actually started with muscle twitches and cramps some weeks prior to the outbreak, and after the outbreak the twitches has come and gone, and they appear all over the body, but still mostly in the legs and arms.

The overstimulation of the nerves has more or less stopped, thank God, but as they have subsided more and more over the last weeks, the muscles in the legs and arms are increasingly feeling weak. Apparently they just feel weak, but are not... or the strength is there, but perhaps not the endurance...

Last week at the doctor's, I had very little, or close to no, reflex in the knees when being hit with a hammer, but today it was pretty OK. But, today when he asked me to wiggle my wrists back and forth quickly the left hand was keeping a slower tempo than the right one.

As I have been believing that there is a connection with eating and this my functional doctor thinks there must be a connection with leaky gut and leaky blood brain barrier. And what apparently stopped the overstimulation of the nerves was me starting on a gut healing protocol including:

• L-Glutamine
  • Glycine
  • Butyric Acid
  • Saccharomyces Boulardii(stimulates IgA production in the gut)
  • Lactobacillus Plantarum
  • Probiotica
  • Zink
  • Selenium
  • Broth since monday
  • and from today, Betaine HCL
But the weakness is so far progressing, and I do not like it!!!!!
I am going to see a neurologist and also scheduled for MRI, but as the doctors so far are having no clue what this is - would any of you perhaps?

Last edited:

optimist

Thank you @ahmo! That's a good suggestion, and a good video. I think saw it around christmas times actually :) But my B12 should be above 500, so that should not be the issue with me...

optimist

So.... how then do you propose one can find out if one is deficient? Is there some other way?
Last time I took one 5000mg B12 tablet I was unable to sleep until the following day (overmethylation) :/

Gondwanaland

how then do you propose one can find out if one is deficient?
Homocysteine and Methylmalonic Acid are the tests to tell you if you have a functional B12 deficiency if the lab handles the blood sample well (I think it must be immediately frozen until analysis?).

Last time I took one 5000mg B12 tablet
This is a HUGE dose. Have you read caledonia's documents about starting low and roadblocks to methylation? They are linked in my signature under "Freddd's protocol".

Last year I started with 500mcg and went up too quickly to 1,500 mcg and that was too much for me. Then I found caledonia's documents... Right now I am tolerating 200mcg 1 or 2x weekely.

EDIT: Also take a look at this:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...h-my-23andme-results.36736/page-2#post-583654

Last edited:

optimist

It was quite a while ago that I did it, but I am not doing it again :)

Here's an excerpt from my blood test, but I am not able to interpret it:

Attachments

• b12.png
    b12.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 19

optimist

No, I have not taken 23andme... but I have tested for mthfr mutation, and it said I have no mutation.

Crux

The folate does look too high, and could be involved with the neurological symptoms.
High folate may be caused by bacterial overgrowth in the gut. SIBO.

Gondwanaland

But, as far as B12 goes, does it look OK in regards to homocysteine and methylmalonic acid?
Lab results seem fine, but you need to address your symptoms not the results.

For instance my lab results for thyroid look fine, but I have hypothyroid symptoms and need T3 replacement.

optimist

I see... hmm... I have been trying 500mgx3 niacin for some days, but they mostly put my mood down so I stopped taking them, but I know they eat methyl groups. I also tried supplementing with B-Right, but B-complexes gives me anxiety, depression and even more fatigue. Perhaps B-Right being high in folate is playing a part in that...

Gondwanaland

One possibility is that you are not getting the folate into the cells, so taking B3 is worsening your symptoms.

B-Right contains 125mg B3 and also contains folic acid. So this Bcomplex is probably worsening your condition.

Hopefully folks more experienced in methylation will chime in soon.