• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird Methylation Symptoms/Reactions

acrosstheveil

Hello,

Started methylation treatment a while back and now I suddenly have some very weird symptoms. I have used cannabis for lyme symptoms for the past six years with great success but now suddenly I cannot tolerate it at all. I get severe chest pains, migraines, shortness of breath, insomnia, chills, and severe vasoconstriction and bad tinnitus. It is almost like an anaphylatctic shock reaction. I have tried it from 5 different sources and it is all the same. haven't used any in a few months now but even just the smell now sets of a severe reaction.

I also cannot tolerate foods I have eaten for years like quinoa, potatoes, tomatoes, advocadoes, almond butter, peanut butter, and nuts in general. My tinnitus is going crazy all the time now. I have been taking TMG, methylfolate, methylcobalamin, l-carnitine fumarate. The only thing that really helps me now when I have this strange reaction is lots of benadryl and CLAY. I have even almost resorted to taken a benzo but have been able to resist so far (I was dependent years ago but am stressing so hard right now.....). I can't relax anymore because I am always having an allergic reaction and it is making my lyme or maybe candida flare up bad. I don't think it's candida because I've had that in the past and had lots of itching associated with it. I have tinnitus which I read could be a result of candida but it also can be a result of overmethylation, lyme, or allergy.

Niacinamide (500mg) seems to make the tinnitus and other symptoms go away temporarily but it does not feel good for me to take in the long run because i feel it makes me more toxic. Also, grapefruit juice makes me feel great initially but then the next day my tinnitus goes nuts and i feel extremely bad. I have no idea what is going on now? I can't seem to be able to eat anything without having a severe reaction. I can't tell what is helping me and what is hurting me any more.

Am i overmethylating? Undermethylating? I started tindamax & cat's claw after this reaction started because I am afraid the lyme is coming back in my brain .

I don't understand if all this is due to methylation, lyme, or what!? Can anyone offer me any advice? I am completely miserable here. can't sleep, can't eat, and i'm about to lose my job due to exhaustion/insanity. i was able to manage my symptoms okay several months ago!

Last edited:

girlfromeurope

Maybe you're having low potassium, this happens if you start taking methylation supplements.
Tinnitus, chest pain, insomnia are all symptoms of that.
Try a potassium supplement and see if you feel better.

girlfromeurope

I think you should try about 300 mg first and see if that makes you feel any better.
Taking magnesium with potassium also helps making it absorb better.

whodathunkit

You can take multiple doses of potassium in a day, so if after a few hours you don't feel better or your symptoms aren't cleared, try a tad more. Only problem is that potassium will give you diarrhea if you take too much. But the symptoms you're talking about are much more serious than a bit of loose stool from a bit too much potassium, so don't worry about it. If you keep experimenting you'll find a balance.