• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird fatigue symptom in face - do you get this?

Do you get this odd symptom?

• Total voters

PracticingAcceptance

Recently I've been experiencing a new symptom. When I spend too much energy, I feel my eyes recoiling, my brain recoiling from the world. It's involuntary. It's like my face shrinks backwards into my head. Like a snail withdrawing into its shell.

giphy.gif

You know that feeling when you've eaten an incredibly sour sweet? (Sour candy to americans.) ...and your mouth puckers in outraged horror at the intensity of the sour flavour. That's what happens to my eyes.

6a6691d2ce45eecec64ff7286c82b38b.jpg

When this symptom was milder I explained it as 'it feels like my head is turning inside out'. But in reality it doesn't quite feel like that - it just feels like my face has imploded. Oddly my nose will be achy/tender when this happens, even though it hasn't been touched.

All other people would see is that I'm scrunching up my eyes and I'm staying still.

Isn't this a weird, fascinating, odd symptom?

I wasn't sure whether to post this under hypersensitivity and intolerance, or skin/muscles/hair, or something else. But it does seem that it's in reaction to whatever activity I'm currently doing when it becomes too much - when I'm tired and I just can't take any more.

xebex

yes i used to get it a lot before I learnt how to pace and avoid crashing, even when i do crash now I don't get it anymore. It is truly a horrible sensation.