• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weight gain + anaemia on methylation protocol

help!
I have been on the methylation protocol with a few other supplements for approx 4 months and I am noticing that I am putting on weight really easily despite eating a low carb diet and controlling my intake. I look like I am on steroids, my face is bloated. If am not really careful what I eat I can put on 3kg in a week - the weight gain is not proportional to my intake.
My thyroid function isn't at its best (not on any thyroid meds yet) but I would've thought that the methylation cycle would have improved thyroid function?
My iron levels, and trans sat have also been dropping and are now low - which is ironic as I introduced meat into my diet about 8 months ago.
Is there any reason for weight gain and anaemia - anyone else have this issue?
thanks
sleepy

place

Be Strong!
I also have gained a few pounds 4-5 lb. I also gain weight on steroids but I useually stop after a month or so. I don't know if steroids would keep my weight going up until I got off? I can say that I have been less hungry on the protocol these past two weeks (week 7-8). I am on Synthroid and T3.

richvank

help!
I have been on the methylation protocol with a few other supplements for approx 4 months and I am noticing that I am putting on weight really easily despite eating a low carb diet and controlling my intake. I look like I am on steroids, my face is bloated. If am not really careful what I eat I can put on 3kg in a week - the weight gain is not proportional to my intake.
My thyroid function isn't at its best (not on any thyroid meds yet) but I would've thought that the methylation cycle would have improved thyroid function?
My iron levels, and trans sat have also been dropping and are now low - which is ironic as I introduced meat into my diet about 8 months ago.
thanks
sleepy

Hi, sleepy.

I recommend that you see your physician (and maybe an endocrinologist) and have these things checked out. I haven't heard of this kind of response before on methylation treatment. Something else might be going on.

Best regards,

Rich

Freddd

help!
thanks
sleepy

Hi Sleepy,

That is not any normal response I'm familiar with. It sounds like me when I developed edema years ago and I put 2+ pounds of water on per day without a diuretic. Check it out with a doc. Depending upon the diuretic prescribed, if any, you may need more potassium. Ask the doctor about this too if a a diuretic is suggested or prescribed.

The methylation protocols rarely affect thyroid and many folks are hypothyroid. The exception is people still in the active phase of Hashimoto's thyroiditis may have that arrested. Some people in that situation have had apparently normal thyroid status returned.

The most common response to a methylation protocol is the startup of healing and an increased need for potassium and often Metafolin.

Low mb12, low Methylfolate, low p5p, low iron can all cause anemia among other things.

DISCLAIMER
I am a self taught systems analyst and consultant. I am not credentialed, certified or licensed to do anything besides drive a car. I have been disabled by the disease processes being discussed and affecting neurology in a multitude of ways for 10 years and impaired in a variety of ways and levels for 54 years before that. Everything I say is my opinion, synthesis, understanding or otherwise of my own creation except direct attributed quotes. Approximate paraphrases are also my interpretation of what I have read. All of this is at best my data analysis, understanding, synthesis and hypotheses and not to be construed as medical advice. I am not responsible for anything you do with any information provided in any way. Anything you do is your own responsibility and at your own risk. There are no published peer reviewed studies backing up my opinions or statements, except the incidental ones quoted or implicit in my synthesis or understanding, and then only in so far any reading of such papers may confer. Your interpretations, actions and variations of what I say are strictly at your own risk.