1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Wedge incline foam pillows?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by pointer, Feb 25, 2014.

1. pointer

pointer

I need some help in where to get a wedge inlcine pillow that is not made of foam. All the ones I can find are made of urethane or polyurethane foam, which of course is very bad for allergies and chemical sensitivities. I need one to sleep with, have been using two pillows for years, but have developed back and neck problems. Have very bad sinus congestion and breathing problems without elevating head. Seems like someone would make one out of cotton or something besides urethane foam. Elevating head of the bed is not a good option for me, due to POTS, dysautonomia, heart problems, etc... Any help on where to find one appreciated.

Thanks

rosie26 likes this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
  3. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    I used to use the wedge for many severe sinus infections. Poor sleep, bad neck and back.
    I got an adjustable bed some years ago. Never EVER regreted this!! I have POTS and never
    noticed any worsening. You can adjust it to ANY amount of "wedge" or incline. Hugely
    helpful for sinus and breathing!! (even with slight elevation) Also GERD. As well, very helpful for elevating feet and keeping head low when you want to do that. I don't know about any natural fiber wedges, but after
    suffering with wedges for YEARS, I can tell you how valuable an adjustable bed is. Can even
    elevate it all the way up on the head for "working" or reading in bed during the daytime when
    your POTS is too severe to sit up in a chair.

peggy-sue and rosie26 like this.
  4. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    I bought three zippered wedges from Hammacher Schlemmer and at first they felt wonderful but soon they were too hard and hurt my back and neck. Odd because I used the memory foam contour pillows for years and I hate hospital beds, so I gave up and just use four regular pillows plus my memory foam one. Gave away the wedges and never looked again but the natural ones are out there.

rosie26 likes this.
  5. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Are you sure you react to polyurethane (memory) foam. I got a memory foam pillow of the style recommended by many physios (It has neck support higher areas) and it was approved by an allergy association. Im actually been fine with it.

6. pointer

pointer

Thanks for the replies. I am sensitive to urethane and polyurethane finishes, and if you google: are foam pillows safe or toxic, you get lots of info about VOC's and their dangers. I guess I will keep looking.

Thanks

taniaaust1 likes this.
  7. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    We have an organic coconut fibre matress, and it is the loveliest and best matress I have ever slept on.

I have done a google on wedge shaped pillows and organic coconut fibre, several companies came up.
    There is something that might be suitable here, but you might like to have a search yourself. :)
    It's not coconut, but buckwheat husk.

http://www.lotus-design.com/out/media/en/Lotus_Catalog.pdf

8. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    Gosh, so frustrating that it is so hard to find what you are looking for! Definitely know the feeling! Maybe try some natural product (not sure which)
    companies or something? Best of luck!!

9. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I know this is an old thread but I read on Dr Myhills site that the two types of polyurethane react very differently. She said that the liquid version used as coatings on any number of things was much worse than the bound version- like in foams. I guess the VOC's from the foams off-gas much quicker.

See more popular forum discussions.