• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

weak day after shower or bath

xrayspex

I know we have had threads about some of us feeling worse after baths or showers but I forget, anyone know why I might not really feel the ill effects until day 2 after a shower or bath? I feel worst on day 2, the following day might be ok but then the next day (today) feel weaker than usual and more malaise, more oxygen problems...

ukxmrv

How does that compare to your normal PEM? Mine can take a day or two to strike in it's full form.

JAH

PEM is my thought too. I love baths, but they are hard for me as well. I sometimes feel tired the next day, as well as same day for baths. (always have to take a bath right before bed, because it will wipe me out for the day if I take one earlier)

If you haven't already watched this excellent presentation about PEM by pacific fatigue lab, I highly recommend it. Showers specifically discussed.

JAH

xrayspex

my "fatigue" normally, if not in flare up, I usually can pace myself and rest intermittently thruout day and be upright for good chunks of time. I often dont shower or bathe for 2 weeks at a time, have gone longer than that for not washing hair, but I wash up other ways and lucky that my hair not oily so most people would have no idea.
But today for example was terrible, I took shower/bath sat nite ( I do it in eves as well, worst idea would be to take a shower at beg. of day to get going...how the heck that works for others is a marvel to me but I used to be like that back in the day) so yesterday I didnt feel too bad and today started out ok but as day went on I could not recover like i usually do after I lie down for awhile, it didnt matter how long I lie down today, I kept feeling like I have no oxygen, its painful, like depleted like a flat balloon and can't get reprieve no matter what I do. BEing really hot outside probly did not help altho I was mostly in a/c.

I will check out that video thank you. do they have any advice on how to recover or what to do about batheing?

JAH

my "fatigue" normally, if not in flare up, I usually can pace myself and rest intermittently thruout day and be upright for good chunks of time. I often dont shower or bathe for 2 weeks at a time, have gone longer than that for not washing hair, but I wash up other ways and lucky that my hair not oily so most people would have no idea.
But today for example was terrible, I took shower/bath sat nite ( I do it in eves as well, worst idea would be to take a shower at beg. of day to get going...how the heck that works for others is a marvel to me but I used to be like that back in the day) so yesterday I didnt feel too bad and today started out ok but as day went on I could not recover like i usually do after I lie down for awhile, it didnt matter how long I lie down today, I kept feeling like I have no oxygen, its painful, like depleted like a flat balloon and can't get reprieve no matter what I do. BEing really hot outside probly did not help altho I was mostly in a/c.

I will check out that video thank you. do they have any advice on how to recover or what to do about batheing?

The video will really help you. It exactly explains why you feel like you have no oxygen! You feel like a depleted balloon because you are one. They recommend putting a shower stool in the shower and sitting. Standing requires 25% more energy. My personal feeling is that the heat aggravates the POTs element, so short, not so hot showers are better.

J

ukxmrv

I always take a cool bath and never a shower. Even using a shower chair doesn't work for me.

Standing in a shower can result in a faint. The water in the bath needs to be as cold as I can tolerate. After the bath cold water applied to the lower legs helps me a great deal. I run the water out of the bath and use the handheld shower to put cold water over my legs. If no handheld shower then straight out of the bath and into a bucket of cold water.

It's not much fun but helps.

A bath probably requires less energy since you are sitting instead of standing. You could also get a seat for your shower. I know an amputee that bought one for his shower since he can't stand without his prosthetic legs, but can't use them in the shower. He also had bars put in the shower to hold on to. Maybe these additions would be helpful?

On days where you can't bathe, you could try sponge baths and dry shampoo for your hair.

Another random tip--citrus is supposed to be energizing. Maybe try some citrus scented bath products and shampoos?

All the best, God bless you. <3

xrayspex

thanks again you guys, I wasn't sure if it was the heat just because it seems to have that delayed reaction but duh, when I used to try to aerobically exercise it would often be a delayed reaction of flare up PEM, didnt dawn on me baths would be same way. but bummer, I do not want to take cold baths! all the things I love like running and showering get taken away sigh

and thanks Lilac, I do try to smell like a flower myself, do the sponge bath thing at sink and have stuff I spray in my hair that is supposed to clean it, I still work some so don't want to scare people off there :) I am waiting for that new invention to come out that is a true dry cleaner for human, some young scientist made it this year I think

Tito

Have you tried sitting in the bath tub to take a shower? A 'shower seat' is not the same. Your heart still has to pump blood for a height of 1.20m (from your feet to the top of your head), but if you sit on the floor of the bath tub, your heart only has to pump for a height of 0.85 cm or so.

taniaaust1

shower seats "often" dont work well for us if there is anything like POTS and low blood volume involved.. as the combo of the shower heat and sitting on a shower seat with the legs down from the rest of the body, is plenty to trigger off issues and place more stress of ones body.

I recently discovered that not only can I get immediate POTS effects which then wear off when afterwards laying down (normal POTS stuff) ..but also can get a delayed ME reaction to the POTS attack which can happen the next day. (Its like cause the POTS put more stress on my body.. and due to that I can then recrash again later.. from what the POTS actually did).

I see this as different from my normal postexertional crashes as I have seen a direct relationship to me getting POTS bad the day before rather then related to actually to the amount of physical stuff I did.

so the way i see things now is POTS is a stressor on the body.. and hence may not only cause an immediate crash but also possibly can cause a ME crash response too.