• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

We need a list of institutions and universities, which do serious biomedical research about ME/CFS.

DanME

Hi,

our German ME advocacy organisation needs to prepare a list of institutions and universities, which conduct serious biomedical research on ME/CFS. Especially in Europe. We need the list to win some politicians over. Could you help us? We don't want you to do our work, but if some research institutions spontaneously come into your mind (e.g. from Belgium, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, Spain, Portugal, Greece and so on) plz list them. Or maybe you know a list, which we could use?

Thank you so much!

Dan

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
You might do well to contact the Invest in ME charity in the UK who run an annual colloquium where most of the groups attend. You may also get useful information from @charles shepherd at MEA. Just off the top of my head I would suggest googling up details on:

Prof Juliá Blanco in Barcelona (university virology unit - check details)
Prof Anne McArdle, University of Liverpool
Prof Julia Newton and Dr Stuart Watson University of Newcastle
Profs Tom Wileman and Simon Carding of University of East Anglia
Dr Geraldine Cambridge of University College London
Dr Amolak Bansal of St George's Medical School (St Helier)
Prof Jonas Blomberg (Sweden)
Prof Carmen Scheibenbogen Berlin Charité (you will know)
Dr Luis Nacul and Dr Eleana Lacerda, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (ME Biobank) (part of Univ Coll London)
Dr Neil Harrison, University of Sussex UK

Outside Europe there is the Griffith University unit in Brisbane and there are several US groups: Lipkin and Hornig at Columbia University, James Baraniuk, Maureen Hanson, Betsy Keller, Nancy Klimas and Gordon Broderick, and Montoya to name a few - there is a US ME organisation with meetings that will give all the names.

barbc56

This would include a lot of doctors but not sure how much is research nor does it cover the whole spectrum of our illness.

The University of California has an excellent pain clinic.

What about sleep clinics?

It sounds like the list is for treating all of me/cfs symptoms, so ignore this if it's not relevant.

Great thread!

DanME

This would include a lot of doctors but not sure how much is research nor does it cover the whole spectrum of our illness.

The University of California has an excellent pain clinic.

What about sleep clinics?

It sounds like the list is for treating all of me/cfs symptoms, so ignore this if it's not relevant.

Great thread!

We are rather interested in institutions, which conduct serious biomedical research on ME/CFS in order to demonstrate, that a lot of scientist and doctors out there actually think, ME is a biological, physical disease. I think it is not that hard to proof. Times have changed in our favour. I think, we are at a breaking point. But we need a serious list to win some important people and politicians over. It's part of the advocacy work, I guess. The more people we convince, the faster things can change...

Thanks for your answer anyways. :)

DanME

You might do well to contact the Invest in ME charity in the UK who run an annual colloquium where most of the groups attend. You may also get useful information from @charles shepherd at MEA. Just off the top of my head I would suggest googling up details on:

Prof Juliá Blanco in Barcelona (university virology unit - check details)
Prof Anne McArdle, University of Liverpool
Prof Julia Newton and Dr Stuart Watson University of Newcastle
Profs Tom Wileman and Simon Carding of University of East Anglia
Dr Geraldine Cambridge of University College London
Dr Amolak Bansal of St George's Medical School (St Helier)
Prof Jonas Blomberg (Sweden)
Prof Carmen Scheibenbogen Berlin Charité (you will know)
Dr Luis Nacul and Dr Eleana Lacerda, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (ME Biobank) (part of Univ Coll London)
Dr Neil Harrison, University of Sussex UK

Outside Europe there is the Griffith University unit in Brisbane and there are several US groups: Lipkin and Hornig at Columbia University, James Baraniuk, Maureen Hanson, Betsy Keller, Nancy Klimas and Gordon Broderick, and Montoya to name a few - there is a US ME organisation with meetings that will give all the names.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer Dr. Edwards. This is a great start! Contacting Invest in ME and MEA is also a fantastic idea. Great article in the Norwegian newspaper btw! It was a good read and brought a big smile to my face...