The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

We May Have Finally Discovered The Trigger That Starts Autoimmune Diseases

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by BurnA, Sep 2, 2017.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

http://www.sciencealert.com/we-may-have-found-how-runaway-train-autoimmune-diseases-get-started

2. Webdog

Webdog Nothing left to say

Wasn't it Mario Capecchi at the Stanford Symposium who emphasized the importance of developing a mouse model for ME/CFS?

ahmo, GreyOwl and Rick Sanchez like this.
  3. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

Very interesting.
    What happens long term, the short term memory may be great to knock out (with Rituximab?) but if there is a long term we would need to fix it because it usually takes years to get diagnosed with ME/CFS or presumably most autoimmune diseases.

Could this even explain why only 60% remission is achieved in Rituximab trials?

4. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

Woolie, pattismith and Hutan like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    There doesn't seem to be any substantial evidence of this in humans though - each autoimmune disease seems to have it's own specific autoantibodies, rather than some generalised lack of B-Cell tolerance.

MeSci likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is the first study I have seen with this kind of specific claim. Its interesting. Its also a long way to go before we have clinical application.

It might explain the Rituximab successes and failures. Might. So might other things. In ten or twenty years people will look back and ask why the answer is not obvious. We are mired in both a sea of uncertainty and quagmires of unfounded certainty. Or to put it another way, a lack of research and too much dogma.

In less than two months we might have early word, however brief, on how Rituximab is doing.

ahmo, Invisible Woman and BurnA like this.
  7. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.