1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

We are in darn fine company

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Gerwyn, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

An idiopathic medical condition is one with no known cause

Patients with idiopathic parkinsons disease,idiopathic cardiomyopathy and mitochondrial encephalomyopathy share different point mutations in the SAME MITOCHONDRIAL GENE!-Ozawa et al biochem biophys 1991 hoel et al 2005

Other ideopathic conditions

Autism 80% mitochondrial disorder weissmen 2008

Idiopathic renal disease

renal Fancomi syndrome

Idiopathic Alzheimers syndrome

Idiopathic pulminory fibrosis

"sideroblastic anaemia

ideopathic cerebral ataxia

Ulcerative colitis

muscular dystrophy

Addisons disease

FIBROMYALGIA(J RHEUM 2000)

There are others all with documented or suspected mitochondrial dysfunction

Idiopathic is the correct medical term for medically unexplained

There are going to be a lot of people under the new somatoform label!

2. Lily

Lily *Believe*

The difference is that some of those have medical tests that explain the symptoms, so even though the the cause is idiopathic, they are no longer considered somatiform illnesses. Unfortunately we are still in the phase where science says medical tests do not explain our symptoms:confused::ashamed:

3. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Arguably the data re causation in ms and parkinsons is equal to that in cfs so if the other two are idiopathic the the same rules should apply .There is idiopathic chronic fatigue---University of Maryland medical school rheumatologists accept fibromyalgia as idiopathic or most of them do.Idiopathic and medically unexplained is a very gray area .I was more interested in the link between idiopathic and mitochondrial dysfunction but i take your point.It depends largely on whether a group adopts a disease and a balance of medical opinion---autism will almost certainly fall under the new somatoform label

See more popular forum discussions.