• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ways & ideas to raise money for ME/CFS research, charities, etc.

Dolphin

A lot more money for ME/CFS research could be raised if people remembered it in their wills. Very few people seem to at the moment.

A lot of people may not have that much money when they are alive but they may own the property they live in and its contents (or inherit it when their parents or other relatives pass away). Giving a percentage (or even all) of this can be a lot from a single individual.

This is what I intend to do myself (give a percentage to ME/CFS research) when I make a will.

For a UK-centric view of charity giving, this looks quite useful - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/charity-fundraising-sites

Provides a breakdown of the charity giving sites (where people can donate to the cause you support) and which takes the least amount per transaction. Also lists a few other ways that you can donate.

One potentially useful way to donate, if you or somebody you can convince to donate works, is donating to charity through payroll giving.
Money Saving Expert said:
Payroll giving lets you donate a regular amount directly from your salary through your employer's payroll. The donation is given before tax (but after National Insurance) is taken off, so the charity automatically gets more, regardless of what level of tax you pay.
If you're a basic-rate taxpayer, you pay 80p for every £1 donation. For higher-rate taxpayers, it's 60p, and for additional-rate taxpayers, it's 55p. In other words, the charity gets the tax that you would have paid, on top of what you're actually paying, ie, the full £1.

The only problem is employers must have a scheme in place: you can't just do it on your own. Ask your HR department if your firm runs a scheme. If not, it's worth trying to encourage it. It's a simple process run through automated payroll systems. The Association of Payroll Giving Organisations (APGO) may be able to help.

Unfortunately, self-employed sole traders can't access payroll giving.
One of my ex-employers would even add a little bit extra to donations made this way, so could be worth checking.

I would also highlight the use of cashback sites for online purchases as another way of "earning" extra money which could then be donated to charity - read more here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cashback-websites

rosie26

Something that would be excellent but I don't know if it could be done would be to have a Phoenix Rising account for all small (coin) or larger donations and a small percentage could go to Phoenix Rising and the accumulated amount could be divided each month or every couple of months then sent to our top researchers. A good way of spreading dollars around for all good research going on.

We could have a thread on how the fund each month has grown. I would like that my money is being spread around research groups to keep things moving along.

Tuha

I think we can do a list of things how to collect more money for ME research. I will distribute it each month on ME facebook pages. So here are some of my ideas what the patients can do, I will think about more ideas
- if you dont struggle financialy donate regulary to ME research

- you can give up some stuffs which you buy and the money which you save you can donate (for example I gave up chocolate which save me 10 USD/ months and it´s even good for me because I dont tolerate good sugar)

- ask 1-2 times a year your family and friends to donate

- make an event (for example invite your friends for dinner/party with a symbolic ticket, you can make a dinner in your church community,...)

- if you are a member of a ME community, talk to others about the necesity to donate to ME research, encourage them for example to do it before christmas or several times a year.

- ask your firma to donate

- marry a rich billionaire