Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Washington Post: With his son terribly ill, a top scientist takes on CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Simon, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    With his son terribly ill, a top scientist takes on chronic fatigue syndrome - The Washington Post
    by Miriam Tucker

Terrific article about Whitney Dafoe, his father the Stanford scientist Ron Davis and the lack of research funding.
    The basic scientific approach:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Great stuff, in an influential paper, too. Thanks, Simon.

All - please click on the link to the page, and get your friends to do the same, see if we can get it onto the 'most read' list (which brings a lot more attention to the article).

If anyone wants to comment on the article on the WP site, it looks like you can sign in with an Amazon account.

rosieness, PatJ, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Excellent article.

It's possible to post a comment (and I just did). Please join me! Here's a little article about how to do it if you haven't before.

rosieness, ahimsa, beaker and 6 others like this.
  4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks @Simon and will definitely read the full article later.

WillowJ, Simon and Sasha like this.
  5. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Thanks @Simon. Too sad to read, but hopefully something good will come out of this. I do hope it will do in time to save him and others.

" “He has some of the classic symptoms that we talk about with ME/CFS, but in him they’re amplified 10 or 100 times,” adds Kogelnik, president and founder of the Open Medicine Institute, the research/clinical institution affiliated with the fundraising foundation.

Whitney has extremely low levels of several small molecules associated with energy metabolism. He also has three mutations in a gene that codes for an enzyme that helps convert folate and vitamin B12 to their active forms, a process necessary for both metabolic and immune function.

Such mutations are present in about 5 to 10 percent of the general population, but Kogelnik has been finding them at much higher rates among his ME/CFS patients. "

duncan likes this.
  6. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    It is a great article, great exposure for our illness, but I wish they would switch the placement of the first photo with the 2nd, which shows his severe condition.

Most people these days only glance at a headline and picture quickly before deciding to read on -- and in this case, if they do so -- they'll see the headline, but then see a happy, smiling young man, and perhaps not read any further.

7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Just read the article and even though I knew the situation and history, it is still very incredibly sad. Agree with @dannybex that the pictures should have been in reverse order or at least side by side.

beaker and dannybex like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I just added the above comment.

9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Some very good comments on that article. Very good thread on there.

Bob likes this.
  10. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Maybe it even peaked at number one...
    upload_2015-10-6_9-47-54.png

All in all, this has been excellent.

11. adreno

adreno PR activist

Excellent article, and very much to the credit of @viggster, I believe.

Kati and sarah darwins like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Yes, it has.

mango, sarah darwins and Simon like this.
  13. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
  14. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Great to have this exposure!
    Dr Davis and his team have all the talent and motivation needed to make serious headway, and they have enough money to have started their work too. I really hope others donate to the cause (see my signature below) and the NIH finally get behind them.

Gingergrrl, Sushi, Simon and 2 others like this.
  15. ballard

ballard Senior Member

For the people who call ME/CFS an invisible illness, I think they need to take a good look at the 250,000 ( at least) Americans who live in darkened rooms, completely unable to help themselves. They should also take a look at the people in wheelchairs or the homeless people with ME/CFS who can’t afford a place to live because they are unable to work. Many of us can pass as healthy, but for some, it’s perfectly obvious, to anyone who cares to look, that they’re really sick.

Invisible.png

dannybex, Debbie23, Tammy and 15 others like this.
  16. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Tweeted this image with text:

Hidden in plain sight. Millions of us with #mecfs agencies and gov looking the other way @NIHDirector@NIH#BIOETHXpic.twitter.com/l3KUdNbQUO

Feel free to retweet, copy and paste, etc...

17. ballard

ballard Senior Member

Hey, thanks, Kati!

Kati likes this.
  18. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @ballard did you draw that cartoon/sketch? Sorry if I missed where it came from? It is incredible!

19. ballard

ballard Senior Member

Yes. I have had CFS for 24 years. And, thank you. If you wish to use the graphic anywhere else, please feel free to do so.

Ritto, ukxmrv, mango and 4 others like this.
  20. Kati

Kati Patient in training

@ballard I had no idea it was yours. Well done, it's awesome!!!

i posted it because there was a signature on the image, and thought it was worthy of sharing. I hope you didn't mind.

And by all means, if you have more of these artwork with powerful message (even those wiht smaller messages) please share them and I will share them on social media and other will share them too. Often times illustrations mean a thousand words.

Please let me know if you want further recognition in tweets, etc.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Effi, Bob and beaker like this.

See more popular forum discussions.