1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Washington Post (hard copy) newspaper article on blood ban PAGE 2!

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by RivkaRivka, Dec 4, 2010.

1. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

today's hard copy Washington Post had the Red Cross ban article on PAGE 2!!!

2. leaves

leaves Senior Member

this is the article I think: https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/03/AR2010120306996.html

Chronic fatigue blood donors barred

Network News
    X Profile
    View More Activity

By Rob Stein
    Saturday, December 4, 2010

The American Red Cross announced Friday that it was barring people with chronic fatigue syndrome from donating blood to reduce the risk of transmitting a virus that has been associated with the disease.

The virus is known as xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus, or XMRV. Some studies have found that people with chronic fatigue syndrome are more likely to carry the virus. But it remains far from clear whether the virus causes the disease.

Nevertheless, the Red Cross decided to bar people with the syndrome from donating "in the interest of patient and donor safety," according to an announcement from the organization.

Between 1 million and 4 million Americans are thought to have the syndrome, which causes prolonged and severe fatigue, body aches and other symptoms.

The step comes after new research strengthened the possible connection to the virus.

3. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    How cool is this! What a perfect tie-in!

See more popular forum discussions.