• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

was there any follow up on this parasite found in CFS thing?

taniaaust1

I'd never seen or heard anyone on these before

http://www.rense.com/health3/paracfs.htm

Dr. Vincent Marinkovich, here in Redwood City, California. He was treating a CFS patient we thought might have a roundworm infection. The patient had a low grade eosinophilia and some unusual rashes on the torso that suggested the possibility of threadworm disease. Antibody tests and stool tests were negative. I thought about this for a while and I know that some chronic parasites migrate between the digestive tract and the respiratory tract and some of them are coughed up in sputum. So I looked at the sputum and that's where I found it. I called the new parasite "Cryptostrongylus pulmoni", that's a provisional name and it means "the hidden lung worm

Dr. Klapow It definitely is, Roger. It's very difficult to find. And I hope other people will start looking for it. In fact, I've put together some material that I think can help them.

Dr. Mazlen You recently completed a small blinded study in cooperation with a small number of CFS doctors including Dr. Anthony Komaroff in Harvard. You're now doing a larger blinded trial and you're also trying to develop a clinical test for the parasite.

Dr. Klapow Yes, I find the parasites in about 40% of three-day sputum samples from CFS patients. However, I have to tell you that yields are very low. In fact, they're so low that I think I'm probably missing as many positive patients as I'm finding. The problem here is that over 80% of the positives I get are represented by only one identifiable specimen. So just by chance it looks like I'm missing a fairly high percentage.

does anyone know anything more on this?

alex3619

I was in regular contact with Dr. Klapow a long time ago. I have not been able to follow up on this for many years though. He has been working on this a long time, way over a decade.