Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Walitt Invited Shorter and Nath Approved Him

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by GodGenghis, Jan 11, 2017.

1. GodGenghis

GodGenghis

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

This is not going to end well. :grumpy:

Johannawj, mango, GreyOwl and 7 others like this.
  4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
  5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Nath is not committed to building trust with patients. Very bad.

And Walitt is a liar. I can't recall the source but he made statements that were clearly meant to make us believe that he viewed this illness as biological. Then he goes on and invites the biggest proponent of the "mass hysteria silly non-illness" point of view.

TiredSam, mango, Jennifer J and 16 others like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Walitt shouldn't be anywhere near patients or the NIH. His involvement in the NIH's ME research is a disgrace, and a blatant insult to patients.

TiredSam, Johannawj, mango and 22 others like this.
  7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Great. Just great.

Disappointed, not surprised.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    mango, Jennifer J, GodGenghis and 5 others like this.
  8. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

And the band plays on...

JaimeS, Jennifer J, *GG* and 5 others like this.
  9. Countrygirl

Countrygirl I'm with Cheesus

UK
    Just up the lane from me is the old hanging post.

It has vacancies..................:cool::wide-eyed:

10. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Just a reminder (from that post) of what we're dealing with in Shorter:

“What is required to convert these inchoate and nonspecific symptoms into an illness is an act of belief, a psychic epidemic, in other words. And my feeling as a historian is that this is what we are now dealing with in the ME/CFS movement.”

FFS, I was sick for 13 years before I knowingly had a conversation with another person with the same illness. For 12 years I thought I had what a doctor had called a post-viral condition and believed that it would wear off in time. I read zero about this or any other illness. I trusted my GP and left it at that. So how did I catch this psychic epidemic?

Shorter has an obsession with the "movement" — probably less than one per cent of people with the illness — and is unable to distinguish between someone with ME/CFS and someone who campaigns on ME/CFS.

I wasn't sure it was possible to know less than nothing about something until I came across Shorter. Why is the NIH even answering this man's calls, let alone inviting him in? He's a willfully ignorant menace. The quotations from him on that blog post alone should disqualify him from participation in any research.

alex3619, JaimeS, TiredSam and 13 others like this.
  11. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

It's from this post:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ened-at-todays-tdw-meeting.47062/#post-769979
    Wallitt's comment always seemed like he purposely planted it, to me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Ok, so from what I remember from the student/patient that went to the meeting is she had a nice chat afterwards with I think Walitt, who reassured her about how they are viewing this disease. Turns out he was the one that invited the nutter. Can you get anymore two-faced than that?

13. GodGenghis

GodGenghis

So demoralizing. Wallit is no surprise, he hasn't made much effort to hide how he feels. But now we know exactly how Nath feels about ME/CFS patients. smh..

14. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    At the time, he said something along the lines of, "that must've been very difficult for you to hear."

To hear -- you know, because it challenges our belief systems, not because Shorter spews content that is self-serving, or ignorant, or illogical. It sounded like the use of a standard psychiatry technique : empathize and acknowledge the patient's emotions, but be cautious in order to avoid validating or committing to their (mistaken) worldview.

Solstice, Sing, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  15. Michelle

Michelle Decennial ME/CFS patient

Portland, OR
    Somebody IS doing a FOI, right?

See more popular forum discussions.