• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

waking in the night with major anxiety

so I have just started taking escitalopram. 1/4 every other night. took one last night after waking every hour from 9.30 have been awake since 2pm with major anxiety.Surely it can`t be 1.4 of the med that`s done it today. I have really bad tummy cramps and feel so so tired now. The anxiety is becoming so unbearable due to sleep dep that I feel like running around like a headless chicken even though I am so tired. I never knew anxiety could be so bad. my ME is very very active at he moment plus fibro I am at my wits end,. I have tried every remedy going. Any thoughts, suggestions please. I have only be taking the med for 1 week alternately. I also tale 1/4 -1/2 zopiclone but nothing is working. POTs is also very bad today. help.........

SOC

Tachycardia is sometimes interpreted by our minds as anxiety, but it's not. Can you tell whether it's genuine anxiety or "just" rapid heartbeat making you feel anxious?

Tachycardia is sometimes interpreted by our minds as anxiety, but it's not. Can you tell whether it's genuine anxiety or "just" rapid heartbeat making you feel anxious?
I think it`s real anxiety but I also have very bad tachycardia. have had it monitored using a monitor but every thing comes back normal. I think it`s anxiety due to feeling so unwell and knowing what`s coming up the next day but this morning is truly awful. I keep coming out in a hot sweat with a huge headache. driving me insane aargh. Not sure what to do about it. ive just taken 1.4 of 2mg diazepam with no effect. Jus going to lie down with some electrolyte mix to see if it helps. any help appreciated. my bp is 131/79. heart rate 86 on sitting so not sure what the prob is.

Countrygirl

Flower, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I don't know if this is of any help to you, but I once experienced a bout of severe anxiety.........it was horrible...........and then I realised that it started just after I took zolpidem, a sleeping tablet similar to zopiclone. I stopped taking it and the quite severe sense of anxiety disappeared, never to re-occur. It was certainly caused by the sleeping tablet. I do take zopiclone every night, which doesn't cause the problem for me, although it does have other side effects. I would certainly suspect the meds you are taking.

I hope you find the culprit quickly as severe anxiety is most unpleasant.

C.G.

I wondered if it could be the zopiclone but I only take alittle amount so not sure and iv`e been taking it for so long and never had this before. it is so debilitating. I feel like im dying today .literally..! feels like my whole body is wired but im so tired at the same time. this has been going on since Wednesday. dr is useless doesn`t know what to do except prescribe anti dep. its quite scary and horrible. I think in general im anxious about ho crap I feel all the time plus sleep dep. ME and fibro certainly is doing horrid things. at my wits end today. just had abig weep to my hubby but aint relievd anything.

Countrygirl

Flower, could it possibly be the combination of the escitalopram and the zopiclone, do you think?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I think it`s real anxiety but I also have very bad tachycardia. have had it monitored using a monitor but every thing comes back normal. I think it`s anxiety due to feeling so unwell and knowing what`s coming up the next day but this morning is truly awful. I keep coming out in a hot sweat with a huge headache. driving me insane aargh. Not sure what to do about it. ive just taken 1.4 of 2mg diazepam with no effect. Jus going to lie down with some electrolyte mix to see if it helps. any help appreciated. my bp is 131/79. heart rate 86 on sitting so not sure what the prob is.

Have you had your hormones checked lately as a possibility something has caused them to change. Having them out of balance can mimic anxiety for sure. You might try L-theanine during the day to make your day more comfortable. I know what it feels like because I had an endo give me to high of a dose of levothyroxine and it is hard to think back 4 to 6 weeks to think about something new causing anxiety, but it sure did. My eyeballs felt like they were going to pop out of my head and I could not sit still.

Good luck on getting this under control!!!

Flower, could it possibly be the combination of the escitalopram and the zopiclone, do you think?
yes im thinking that too but my gp said they were ok to take together. not going to take escitalpram tonight. been back to bed but still feel just the same. I really need to get onto this. I hope I don't end up in ED today

Have you had your hormones checked lately as a possibility something has caused them to change. Having them out of balance can mimic anxiety for sure. You might try L-theanine during the day to make your day more comfortable. I know what it feels like because I had an endo give me to high of a dose of levothyroxine and it is hard to think back 4 to 6 weeks to think about something new causing anxiety, but it sure did. My eyeballs felt like they were going to pop out of my head and I could not sit still.

Good luck on getting this under control!!!
well I am menopausal so im wondering if that's got something to do with it. Not heard of L theanine but will look on I herb for it. its very nasty. never knew anxiety could make you feel this bad at all.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just looked up the side effects of Lexapro. Notice it says sleep problems, tremors, fast or uneven heart beat

So it could very easily just be that, even on a tiny dose. It won't take much if you can't tolerate it. Call your doctor.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
  • very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, overactive reflexes;
  • nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, feeling unsteady, loss of coordination; or
  • headache, trouble concentrating, memory problems, weakness, confusion, hallucinations, fainting, seizure, shallow breathing or breathing that stops.
Less serious side effects may include:

• drowsiness, dizziness;
  • sleep problems (insomnia);
  • mild nausea, gas, heartburn, upset stomach, constipation;
  • weight changes;
  • decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm; or
  • dry mouth, yawning, ringing in your ears.

I just looked up the side effects of Lexapro. Notice it says sleep problems, tremors, fast or uneven heart beat

So it could very easily just be that, even on a tiny dose. It won't take much if you can't tolerate it. Call your doctor.

• very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, overactive reflexes;
  • nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, feeling unsteady, loss of coordination; or
  • headache, trouble concentrating, memory problems, weakness, confusion, hallucinations, fainting, seizure, shallow breathing or breathing that stops.

• drowsiness, dizziness;
  • weight changes;

• drowsiness, dizziness;
  • weight changes;

• drowsiness, dizziness;
  • weight changes;
[/quote

• drowsiness, dizziness;
  • weight changes;
Im thinking that too even the tiniest dose. I have a lot of those symptoms today. omg. what a nasty drug. ill call my Dr tomorrow and tell her whats happened. thankyou

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Flower, you quoted me 3 times! You must be excited.

If you just started it, and you're on a low dose you could stop and not worry too much about it. Even for one night you would be fine and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck.

Flower, you quoted me 3 times! You must be excited.

If you just started it, and you're on a low dose you could stop and not worry too much about it. Even for one night you would be fine and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck.
Sorry!! I did something wrong when replying. what a twit! That's what sleep dep etc etc does! yes I won`t take it tonight. im a bit scared too anyway after today.
Thanks

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Don't worry. We've all been there.

I wouldn't worry at all about not taking it tonight and it will help you figure out if its that or not.

It's always a process of elimination for us.

Let us know how it went without it. I'm curious.

Don't worry. We've all been there.

I wouldn't worry at all about not taking it tonight and it will help you figure out if its that or not.

It's always a process of elimination for us.

Let us know how it went without it. I'm curious.
yes I will. It could be I`ve got a bit of a bug going on as ive got a fever and very bad backache now. I`ll let you know.

yes I will. It could be I`ve got a bit of a bug going on as ive got a fever and very bad backache now. I`ll let you know.
ok so don`t feel any better today even after not taking escitalopram. think im having a major crash or iv`e got a bug. Bp very high today. iv`e ordered some l theanine to se if that might do it. Got a fever still. just feels like a mjor crash plus anxiety on top. backache bad. fibro on top. Yuk Yuk Yuk today. How much worse is it gonna get aargh

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Hi,

It still may be in your system so give it some time. I take Suntheanine (more stabilized version) nightly and I'm not sure it will help you much with your BP or other problems. It can take the edge off for sure but something major? It doesn't for me.

The problem is we have so much going on, we never know what is what sometimes and the best we can do is tough it out.

So hang in there.

Hi,

It still may be in your system so give it some time. I take Suntheanine (more stabilized version) nightly and I'm not sure it will help you much with your BP or other problems. It can take the edge off for sure but something major? It doesn't for me.

The problem is we have so much going on, we never know what is what sometimes and the best we can do is tough it out.

So hang in there.
thankyou. ill hang in and let you know.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Flower, i'm so sorry to hear you are feeling like this. I have had extreme bouts of anxiety that lasted for a very long time, so i can relate to how desperate you feel. The last time i had severe anxiety it was brought on by only two doses of Citalopram - it took me a while to get it out of my system and for the naxiety to calm down.

I have heard anecdotally of other PWME having extreme reactions to low doses of SSRI anti-depressants. I wonder if you are taking any other drugs/herbs or supplements that could contribute to this - examples are St Johns Wort, high doses of vitamin B6 etc. I was advised not to take ANY B6 or anyhting that interfered with brain serotonin while i was recovering.

I have also read on the net of others without M.E having side effects such as these. I believe that i may have been suffering from akathisia whihc is a severe form of restlessness and turmoil http://www.antidepressantadversereactions.com/side_effects/agitation.php

I wonder what you are taking the antidepressant for? and if it is absolutely necessary. Can you talk to your prescribing Dr about the anxiety problem?

I also notice that Zopiclone can cause anxiety - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zopiclone

I think many of us with M.E can be extremely sensitive to some drugs and sometimes in very low doses. I also take low doses of Valium occasionally - when my anxiety was bad the low dose didnt touch it. I also found the anxiety was worse the more ill i was. I suggest that if it gets bad you take a full valium dose (if safe with your other meds and has been prescibed) and go to bed for at least 24 hours and just rest as much as you can. I sometimes did this just for a break from the anxiety anmd agitation.

I know that Hip has a thread titled 'i cured my anxiety with 3 supplements' - i havent read the thread so not sure if it will help you, just ahunch to check it out.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/

Waking in the night with anxiety can also be a symptom of hypoglycaemia. This also happened to me and i managed to cure it with a night time snack - preferably protein or carb if you eat them. It did take a while to work, but dealing with hypoglycaemia helped my sleep in general.

Please do take care,
Justy x

A zombie

Oh hun, i'm so sorry for what you are going through.
It sounds ADRENAL / and or thyroid /hormonal to me.
Have you tested your adrenals? you need to do it via saliva. Having HIGH or LOW cortisol at night can cuase awful night disruptions/// been there, done that.
I have high cortisol at night and have suffered terrible insomnina.
What helps me now is melotonin, Gaba , cortisol manager and magnesium.