• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wahls diet, mitochondria

dannybex

yes i agree i did not wanted to say that any advice is non-sense (i'm concerned about high oxalate too) i just wanted to say that there are a lot of person like me that when start a diet try to do it very strictly and if one should listen the advice of everyone and apply it strictly would eat nothing ... it's a way to say to take all the advices and relax without apply it strictly.

Good point. There are some that have been on restrictive diets (and some very restrictive ones) and only got better after they listened to their cravings.

sparklehoof

Is anybody here doing Wahls diet, or anything close to it? I'm working my way back into it and could use some discussion partners.

I've got a good head start on bone broth - there's a few quarts in the freezer. I find I love swiss chard, so I use more of that and less kale. I'm not going to do organ meats. Just forget it.

I'm adding acai, resveratrol, and 400mg coq 10 daily. My doctor also recommends d-ribose for mitochondrial function, but I didn't notice anything when I tried it in the past.

I would love to hear what other people are doing, and how it feels.

I'm on Wahls Paleo Plus and am happy to be a discussion partner. One of the questions I have is specifically what vegetables are considered "starchy" (aside from the obvious potatoes etc.). If we need to be eating non-green vegetables while eliminating nightshades (eggplant, tomatoes, peppers), reducing "starchy"-root veggies to 2-servings/wk (pumpkin, squash, parsnips, all colored carrots, beets etc.), while still maintaining the "colored" vegetable requirements, (vegetables colored all the way through)- what non starchy- low sugar vegetables qualify? Turnips and red cabbage aren't colored all the way through, but are low in carb. asparagus, zucchini and cucumbers are green, but have a low GI so maybe these would still count? Any ideas?

maddietod

I'm on Wahls Paleo Plus and am happy to be a discussion partner. One of the questions I have is specifically what vegetables are considered "starchy" (aside from the obvious potatoes etc.). If we need to be eating non-green vegetables while eliminating nightshades (eggplant, tomatoes, peppers), reducing "starchy"-root veggies to 2-servings/wk (pumpkin, squash, parsnips, all colored carrots, beets etc.), while still maintaining the "colored" vegetable requirements, (vegetables colored all the way through)- what non starchy- low sugar vegetables qualify? Turnips and red cabbage aren't colored all the way through, but are low in carb. asparagus, zucchini and cucumbers are green, but have a low GI so maybe these would still count? Any ideas?

Do you have Dr. Whals' second book? I've loaned mine out, but I thought she clearly outlined the Paleo Plus diet. This link might be useful.
I couldn't stay on the original diet, much less Paleo Plus. I couldn't eat that much food.

sparklehoof

Thanks. I do have the second book and had read the link. Dr. Wahls also recommends the GI on a website in Australia though a significant number of foods are not listed. I double checked the book (though I have plenty of brain fog) and didn't see a specific list of vegetables that qualify as "starchy" and "non-starchy" still I'm also am not sure about what non-green colored vegetables are permitted on WPP.
Also, I've heard her say that force feeding isn't necessary. I usually make an 8-10 oz coconut milk/water/leafy green smoothie (2 c. Packed leaves, a couple tablespoons of coconut milk,a couple ice cubes, and enough water so that it's not too thick.) I try to eat 3-4oz of animal protein/day, 1 c. Berries, 1-2 cups other veggies, and some broth.
I've found that's usually a good amount for me (I'm 5'2). When I first started I was trying to eat a minimum of 6c. Fruits and vegetables plus 6+ oz of protein- it was intense! (for me- my exercise during the day was chewing)
If you want to again and need support I'm your girl (though I can't say that I feel any better, but I'll stick with it.)

maddietod

If she doesn't give a list, I would just go with what's commonly accepted. Here's a guideline from this diabetes site:

"Generally, non-starchy vegetables have about 5 grams of carbohydrate in ½ cup cooked or 1 cup raw". There's a list of non-starchy vegetables there, which includes carrots - I would have been unsure about that one.

Yeah, I gave up because of the 6 cups a day requirement, on top of the protein. My jaw hurt!

How long have you been eating this way, and has anything shifted?

sparklehoof

Thanks for the link. I haven't exactly been on the Wahl's diet for very long, but for the last 15 yrs, I have experimented with eliminating many foods, going gluten-free, sugar free, rice free, corn free, dairy free on and off, Paleo, Paleo, liver cleanse diets, the candida diet-, Gaps (80%adherence) since spring 2012-> Wahls Sept 2015-> Wahls Paleo, Oct 1-> Wahls Paleo Plus Oct 12.

I don't feel any difference, but I'm planning to continue some version of it for life.

How about you? Did you notice a difference when you tried it?

sparklehoof

If she doesn't give a list, I would just go with what's commonly accepted. Here's a guideline from this diabetes site:

"Generally, non-starchy vegetables have about 5 grams of carbohydrate in ½ cup cooked or 1 cup raw". There's a list of non-starchy vegetables there, which includes carrots - I would have been unsure about that one.

Yeah, I gave up because of the 6 cups a day requirement, on top of the protein. My jaw hurt!

How long have you been eating this way, and has anything shifted?
I just read over the diabetes list
Re: non starchy veggies- carrots and beets are high in sugar- some peas are too. In a way I like that you here are a few unknown rules- I've had some doctors that wanted me to obsess over cross contamination, having topical contact with restricted foods/tap water. It was frustrating, isolating and I started to resent my dr for assuring me that if I wasn't improving that I must have come into contact with a food/contaminate. I didn't feel convinced that I had any food sensitivities. With the Wahls diet, I'm not obsessing- just doing my best, but if I'm too sick to cook and have to chose between eating a 3rd serving of a starchy vegetable in one week or going hungry- I'm cool with a parsnip:)

maddietod

Another truth is that I'm never going to eat heart, kidneys, brains, etc. I can manage chicken livers very occasionally, but not nearly often enough to satisfy Wahls' protocols. I also ended up hating kale.

As with all my dietary explorations, I learned from this one. I now automatically think about eating colors. I eat a lot more cooked leafy greens - swiss chard, collards, and bok choi are always in my fridge. I'm not a huge fruit eater, but I've mostly switched to berries.

I would have stuck with her original diet if my energy had improved. No such luck.

TigerLilea

Another truth is that I'm never going to eat heart, kidneys, brains, etc. I can manage chicken livers very occasionally, but not nearly often enough to satisfy Wahls' protocols. I also ended up hating kale.

As with all my dietary explorations, I learned from this one. I now automatically think about eating colors. I eat a lot more cooked leafy greens - swiss chard, collards, and bok choi are always in my fridge. I'm not a huge fruit eater, but I've mostly switched to berries.

I would have stuck with her original diet if my energy had improved. No such luck.
@maddietod I am currently reading Dr Wahls book and plan on starting the diet next month. How long did you stick with the diet before deciding that it wasn't helping your energy? And what level did you go up to? I'm starting with Level 1 and will give it two months and then go up to Level 2. Did you see any positive results at all other than no improvement in your energy level?

maddietod

@maddietod I am currently reading Dr Wahls book and plan on starting the diet next month. How long did you stick with the diet before deciding that it wasn't helping your energy? And what level did you go up to? I'm starting with Level 1 and will give it two months and then go up to Level 2. Did you see any positive results at all other than no improvement in your energy level?

I don't remember how long I did the diet - it's been a few years. I was working with her then-only book Minding My Mitochondria and doing what she outlined there. I don't think there were levels.

I'm sure I did it for a month, as that's my minimum trial period. Beyond that, I don't know. I got no results at all.

TigerLilea

I don't remember how long I did the diet - it's been a few years. I was working with her then-only book Minding My Mitochondria and doing what she outlined there. I don't think there were levels.

I'm sure I did it for a month, as that's my minimum trial period. Beyond that, I don't know. I got no results at all.
I'm reading her newest book "The Wahls Protocol" written in 2014. She has three levels - the first is the Wahls Diet which includes grains, legumes, and potatoes; level 2 is Wahls Paleo which is limited grains, legumes, and potatoes; and level 3 is Wahls Paleo Plus which is no grains, legumes, or potatoes which puts you into Ketosis.

You would definitely have the do the diet much longer than one month to get good results. She estimates it takes approximately three years for the cells and organs to become healthy again.

brenda

I started the diet in January at the keto level but had to start adding more carbs in the form of sweet potatoes due to my thyroid. It was great otherwise and various symptoms were going within a week like sleep apnea.

It was a struggle getting the carbs right though, and l would have preferred to go keto.

Then l found an autoimmune protocol group on Facebook for Hashimotos - Elimination Provocation diet, Hashimotos 411, which is stricter and getting good results with many people. I think it is much better than Wahl's for Hashimotos people.

Things started to slow down again though until l read about the work of a neurosurgeon called Dr Jack Kruse and his advice on longevity. He thinks that diet can only get you so far but he has only studied paleo . I have found though that what he says has applied to me

He is about the physics of the mitochondria and the loss of electrons in chronic illness. This has very much been my biggest, problem due to early mercury poisoning. So now l am grounding in wet grass, sun gazing and bathing, concentrating on fish for protein, cold thermogenesis, getting into the sea when possible, high protein breakfast, loads of lightly steamed greens, cutting tap water for washing my body as well as for drinking, cutting out blue light at night, and things have dramatically improved more than at any other time through diet alone. My carbs are coming from plantains, cassava flour, yams, sweet potatoes and berries which Kruse says are needed more in summer, more keto in winter. The rest is fish some meat, salads ghee and coconut oil and pretty easy to do.

I make a bread with green plantains and love it.

The electron thing has been major in my healing. My energy levels have greatly increased and no more pem. Sleep is good in the main going to bed at 8.30 pm.

Last edited: