• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vote Daily To Help Blue Ribbon Foundation Win $50K For Medical Fellowships For ME

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
http://www.eaglerarelife.com/content/official-rules:
The top 30 submitted stories meeting all eligibility requirements will then be judged by the Sponsor, or its independent agent(s) who will determine which will be displayed on the Eagle Rare “Lead a Rare Life” website. Finalist judging will take place from Jan 5, 2017 to the week of March 6, 2017, and will be based on the following criteria: a) Relevance to the Promotion Theme (50%); b) Originality and Creativity (20%); c) Story Quality and Clarity (10%); and online voting by website visitors (20%). Ties, if applicable, shall be broken using only criterion "a." Criterion "a" shall be interpreted to mean how well a submitted story entry depicts the “Lead a Rare Life” theme. The entry with the highest overall score from the top 30 will then be placed on the Eagle Rare “Lead a Rare Life” website as the grand prize winner. In addition, the entries with the highest scores in each of the six categories will be placed on the Eagle Rare “Lead a Rare Life” website as category winners.

But it also says this:
7. Prize Awarding. All winners will be selected by the week of February 20, 2017.

frenchtulip

The winners have been named. http://www.eaglerarelife.com/rarelives_winners_2017 The Grand Prize winner of $50,000 was a project providing needed school supplies to children. There were six runners-up--one in each of the categories--receiving $5,000 each. Congratulations to Ryan Prior for winning the prize in the Leadership category for ME medical education. Thanks to everyone who voted and helped his project to win! His project received over 75,000 votes and had nearly 200,000 views.

Last edited:

*GG*

The winners have been named. http://www.eaglerarelife.com/rarelives_winners_2017 The Grand Prize winner of $50,000 was a project providing needed school supplies to children. There were six runners-up--one in each of the categories--receiving $5,000 each. Congratulations to Ryan Prior for winning the prize in the Leadership category for ME medical education. Thanks to everyone who voted and helped his project to win! His project received over 75,000 votes and had nearly 200,000 views.

So does this mean he won 5K or just some Leadership accolade?

GG

Gingergrrl

Edit: Ok, I am reading this as he won 5K, wish it spelled this out on the Website, so I could share with our community on what we can help make happen even when we cannot do much else :(

My understanding is that he won $5K in the leadership category but hoping someone will correct me if I am wrong. And I agree with you that our community is capable of great things and this was a fun project that we did together. Am proud of us.... and of Ryan of course ;)

Hajnalka

Dear gang of voters, :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Did I get that right, couldn't find a lot of info on the website (or maybe just brainfoggy and German):
The first price (50.000 Dollar) went to a school project.
But we made our goal to get into the top 30. And in our category "leadership" the jury voted us to be the winner (and not the animal sanctuary, that had several hundredthousand votes and was always way in front of us). So we didn't get the first and big prize, but reached our goal to be voted first in our category and got 5.000 Dollar for the Blue Ribbon Foundation.

Thank you for clarifying! :sluggish:

Hajnalka

Das ist richtig @Joh ! :thumbsup::trophy:
Thanks, Luther! :) Do you speak German or did you cheat and use the internet? ;)

Have to admit, although I voted everyday and liked hanging out in this thread, I never believed we had any chance with our "controversial" disease. So I'm really surprised!! And grateful of course! (And can't help but feel a little bad for the animals who didn't get the money, stupid I know).

Hajnalka

Hi @Luther Blissett,

'ein glas bier bitte' :D
:thumbsup: This makes you officially the better German, I'm a fail, because I don't like beer. :)

cute things are easier to get funding for, there is even a word for it but I cannot remember what. Where's :nerd::sluggish: when I need him?
If :nerd::sluggish: comes back to you, I'd love to learn the word! Used to work in campaigning/fundraising for a topic, that's not considered to be cute enough, so we always had this problem, but I never knew there's even an English term for it!!

Sorry for the off-topic stuff, hope it's ok, after we managed to get the :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:. :)

Hi @Luther Blissett,

:thumbsup: This makes you officially the better German, I'm a fail, because I don't like beer. :)

If :nerd::sluggish: comes back to you, I'd love to learn the word! Used to work in campaigning/fundraising for a topic, that's not considered to be cute enough, so we always had this problem, but I never knew there's even an English term for it!!

Sorry for the off-topic stuff, hope it's ok, after we managed to get the :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:. :)

I can order a beer, but don't want to drink it!

The best that :nerd::sluggish: can find is the 'Cuteness Factor'. Surely there should be a better and long German word for that kind of thing.

Here's an article about it http://theweek.com/articles/450037/why-want-save-whales-but-not-crickets

Animals that have good reputations in stories, remind us of human traits, and don't remind us of hurt or death seem to do best.

Dormice seem cute to me, and as children we hear stories of them, and similar animals, usually as little families with children doing human like things. Vampire bats on the other hand seem less cute and more evil, snakes cunning and deadly, spiders dangerous, and so on.

Here's a picture that shows what I mean, from Beatrix Potter, showing Mrs Tittlemouse getting rid of a beatle while cleaning.

15.jpg

Hajnalka

Thank you @frenchtulip, such a great idea to create this thread! I'm sure that you are responsible for a lot of the 75.000 votes. :balloons:

@Luther Blissett, thank you, the article is on my reading list and I really liked your examples and the picture of Mrs Tittlemouse! :) I'm actually very invested in speciesism/antispeciesism and see surprisingly many parallels from my former advocacy work in this field and ME advocacy.

Gingergrrl

Ryan Prior won the Leadership Award and $5,000 in the Eagle Rare Life Contest. If you are on Facebook, check out his thank you to the ME/CFS community for their great support in the contest and find out how the cash prize will be used. https://www.facebook.com/ryan.prior.144

Thank you for sharing the FB link and another Congrats to Ryan!!!

Thank you @frenchtulip, such a great idea to create this thread! I'm sure that you are responsible for a lot of the 75.000 votes. :balloons:

I don't think I realized until right now that you created this thread @frenchtulip and well done! You are definitely responsible for so many of the votes.

We need a new group project for us :nerd::sluggish:'s.... any ideas, anyone?