• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Voices from the Shadows

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Will try to read this whole thread later so I understand what you are asking me but I did see the full movie of "Forgotten Plague" (pre-edited version) and it was wonderfully done but sad of course! Many parts had me in tears.

Sorry! I meant to ask if it was hopeful!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sorry I have not seen any of the other films mentioned so I cannot compare. I am probably the wrong person to ask!

Not asking for a comparison as such - really just if you saw just this one film about ME, would you say it gave a hopeful message? Or would you just come out of the cinema on a real downer?

Gingergrrl

Not asking for a comparison as such - really just if you saw just this one film about ME, would you say it gave a hopeful message? Or would you just come out of the cinema on a real downer?

I saw it as part of a fundraising event and the speeches before and after the film were very uplifting but the film was sad to me b/c I could relate to the suffering of the people in it and very affecting by certain portions like Ron Davis son and the severely ill sufferers. I think it was an eye opener for those in the audience who knew nothing about the illness though.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I saw it as part of a fundraising event and the speeches before and after the film were very uplifting but the film was sad to me b/c I could relate to the suffering of the people in it and very affecting by certain portions like Ron Davis son and the severely ill sufferers. I think it was an eye opener for those in the audience who knew nothing about the illness though.

Thanks - I'm just hoping people won't be so bummed out that they won't donate to the biomedical charities (always my hope!) but of course this will be major awareness raising, quite apart from the funding issue. But we need a film that won't scare healthy people off by being depressing for them to watch.

Gingergrrl

Thanks - I'm just hoping people won't be so bummed out that they won't donate to the biomedical charities (always my hope!) but of course this will be major awareness raising, quite apart from the funding issue. But we need a film that won't scare healthy people off by being depressing for them to watch.

I don't think this film would scare anyone off and it is very educational and interviews the top experts from OMI, INIM, Peterson, Komaroff, Workwell foundation, Lapp, Van Elzakkar, and the Davis Family and is a very balanced film. People gave lots of donations at the event I was at.

Andrew

I should add that the movie is very upsetting. The most upsetting ME/CFS movies I've seen. And it should be, to convey what we feel. But because of this, some of us will find it too stressful, and probably should avoid it.

Part of it includes an audio recording of Sophia Mirza pleading with enforcement officers not to force her from her home and into an institution. It also covers her subsequent death. And stories of other patients told by them or their families. It is also the only ME movie I've seen that visually translates the feeling of illness. It is not interviews with patients wearing perfect makeup, shown with perfect portrait lighting. It is about illness and suffering.

slysaint

I've only just found out about this (Voices from the shadows) from another thread. I understand the need to raise funds but this video seem very difficult to get to view online; havent attempted to buy the DVD. It's such a shame it isnt available to view in full on Youtube.
The way things are the only people who are going to buy the DVD are ME sufferers which seems a bit self defeating if trying to educate the general public/medical profession.