The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Voices from the Shadows - 30 min version free Please Share

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by slysaint, Mar 3, 2017.

1. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    I'd heard about Voices from the Shadows but not seen it (only the trailer).
    I know there are several threads about it.
    On their website a 30 minute version that was screened at Stanford in 2014 is available to watch for free.

I think it is even more relevant now given the current push for even more CBT and GET.

http://voicesfromtheshadowsfilm.co.uk/

It needs to get more coverage, not just to people with ME.

ps I tried the free vimeo link but doesn't appear to work.
    eta: as pointed out below to access the full film you would need to register so best link to the 30min version.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Paralee, Old Bones, Gemini and 8 others like this.
  2. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Excellent point, could someone who is twitter literate perhaps post this on twitter? This could be very informative for those scientists and statisticians who have been looking into the flaws in PACE but who may not know so much about the devastating effects of the illness and how people have been treated/abused.

Binkie4, AndyPR and slysaint like this.
  3. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Hi @slysaint,

Great idea!

Additionally I believe it's always possible to watch the full version for free on Vimeo, if you enter "VOICES" (if I remember correctly?).

Found it interesting (and surprising) to read that the filmmaker is part of the MEGA patient advisory group. I'm critical of MEGA, but if it can't be prevented it's good to know that there are people like her trying to advocate for patients.

4. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
  5. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    There's at least a couple of others on the patient advisory group who are knowledgeable about general patient opinion and the range of research too .

Daisymay, trishrhymes and AndyPR like this.
  6. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Didn't mean to imply that the others are less knowledgeable and I value their effort. I'm not from the UK and she was the only one I had heard about before.

Daisymay, trishrhymes and AndyPR like this.
  7. AndyPR

AndyPR Tired Sam ate all the cookies!

Just tried that link myself and everything worked for me. How far did you get? Did it take you to the film on Vimeo or not even that far?

Daisymay likes this.
  8. AndyPR

I went via this link, https://vimeo.com/ondemand/22513/108797012, to the film. Click to purchase, applied the promo code so "purchased" for free, and was then able to watch the full film.

I do have a Vimeo account though, so not sure if not having one makes it any harder.

Dolphin and Joh like this.
  9. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    The link in this tweet just works, you don't have to click to purchase or anything

Daisymay and AndyPR like this.
  10. AndyPR

That's for the 30 min version Jenny, we are talking about the 60 min original. :)

Dolphin, Daisymay and Joh like this.
  11. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Really great to learn about this 30 min version though! Most people I know are not interested enough in ME to create a Vimeo account and enter a code and watch for an hour. So I'll try to hand them the quick link to this version instead. :)

12. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Quite so, many might take the time to watch the short one who wouldn't care enough to watch the long one.

ballard and Joh like this.
  13. sleepingbeautyxxx

sleepingbeautyxxx

Germany
    Thank you so much for the code! Wanted to watch it, but didn't know where and especially for free!

14. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    I've seen a video on forceful entry in Canada for another illness, too. Maybe it goes on in the US as well.
    I can't say what I'm feeling after watching this.

See more popular forum discussions.