• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vocal Toning

FernRhizome

I am a big fan of Vocal Toning the Chakras. A wonderful CD by Jonathan Goldman. The CD takes you through toning at seven different notes, each note moves up your spine, and the vibration from the toning helps the muscles relax around the spine from the tailbone to the top of the head.

During vocal toning I've had neck problems vanish, some folks have sinus problems vanish. And it's a wonderfully meditative thing to do. I am not a "spiritual" person, more of a science junkie, but I love vocal toning. It's also a wonderful way to go into a deep meditation. It quiets the mind down more quickly than anything else I've done. I highly recommend it!

You can tone alone (and very quietly) to the cd, or entirely alone, or best yet, with a friend, or more than one friend. It is quite an amazing experience. Friends of mine have vocal toned by the ocean and have had seals pop their heads out entranced by the sound! ~FernRhizome

Sunday

I'm a big fan of toning, I used to do it a lot, and I'm a fan of Goldman's work. I've also logged many many thousands of hours singing, and there's definitely something that happens on a cellular level when we sing. When you do it in a more focussed way, it really can do amazing things.

I've been doing very informal toning lately (one book I got years ago suggested just allowing your body to make whatever sounds it wants; eventually you get to a tone the body wants). Thanks for reminding me of the Goldman cd, that could be a wonderful bridge between the informal toning and actually making music (which I miss so much, but simply don't have the stamina to do at this point). Loved the story about the seals popping their heads out!

FernRhizome

Sunday: glad there is another vocal toner here! I wondered for awhile if we could do an 800 number call in vocal toning group! But a friend and I tried vocal toning over the phone and it just wasn't very good.....though perhaps it would be better over a computer connection....? ~Fern

Sunday

What a fun idea, Fern! But I think you're right, we'd have to have good sound equipment, or we'll miss the overtones. Which I believe are a lot of the point.