1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

VO2Max - exercise test

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Clodomir, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Clodomir

Clodomir In hibernation mood

Belgium
    Hi,

Yesterday, I made a VO2 Max test ( to see the oxygen in your blood during an effort)! I am a woman, 45 years old, 48 kg, 157 cm.
    A normal person ( not like me) as a result of 26 to 35. A CFS patient who can still work is between 20 and 22. If you are under, you can't work anymore. I am not working anymore.
    My result was ... 8. Nearly a vegetable ... And I have also tachycardia... I didn't see me as bad as the result of this test shows me...
    I am a little bit worried.
    Have you also done this test and was the result as bad as mine?

Thanks a lot

Have a nice day.

Clodomir

2. Tito

Tito Senior Member

In this study
    http://www.cfids-cab.org/cfs-inform/Prognosis/andersen.etal04.pdf
    They say at the very end,
    "For instance, our patient 22 reported on the One-Time Measure (1999) that she had, on the whole, im- proved since 1994. She was housebound in both 1994 and 1999, and her overall score on the Repeated Measure was unchanged, though she worsened on Section 2, cognitive abi- lities. She, however, reported reduced fatigue, and that she now slept/rested only 17 h/day, instead of 21 as previously."

This is why results from CBT studies are unreliable. They ask patients how they feel, they don't measure it.

3. Clodomir

Belgium
    Thanks tito,

But I think my mesure is a fact that can't be denied, or refused. Maybe it is the mesure, we (the doctors) must use. It mesure the fatigue in an objective way. Even if it isn't plaiseant to hear ( and it isn't : I am still chocked).

Have a nice day

Clodomir

4. Gamboa

Gamboa Senior Member

Canada
    Hi Clodomir,

I recently had a two-day cardiopulmonary exercise test in Ithaca, New York, a test which followed the Pacific Fatigue Lab protocol for ME/CFS. I had two different values regarding VO2 max so I'm not sure which one you are referring to.

My maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max) was 24.3 ( 6.9 METS) and was considered slightly low for my age and gender. My VO2max at anaerobic threshold (AT) was however, "very low" at 13.1 (3.75 METS), indicating a "low threshold for aerobic energy production."

I don't really understand it all yet but they calculated my AT as 100 beats per minute, which is low. Did they calculate your AT? Once you go into anaerobic metabolism you would experience fatigue. I bought myself a heart rate monitor and found that sweeping the floor carrying groceries, mowing the lawn, etc. all put me over my AT. This then causes fatigue. I didn't realize that I was going over my AT many times in a day. No wonder I don't feel well.

Gamboa

5. Gamboa

Gamboa Senior Member

Canada
  6. Clodomir

Belgium
    Hi Gamboa,

1. Lovely flower
    2. I just receive the measure. When i will receive my protocol, i'll tell you. But I think my AT was 8... The doctor said that people who have this result stay bedbounded... But it is not totally my case: every day, I wake up, eat ( something simple), take a shower, put some clothes, chose one activity (feed the cat, or go in my garden and cut a few things, etc..), phone my sister or mother, listen to my kids and husband when they come home, then go to bed.
    When I received the result, I was so chocked: I knew that I wasn't well because, I can't do lost of normal things, like mowing, sweeping, etc... But in my head, it wasn't so bad... Now, i realise...
    But the doctor give me "hope" : lots of his patient have borrelia ( lyme disease) and maybe it is why I am so bad... I wait now for the result and if positive: IV abx, yerk... It seems to be not funny at all.

Maybe he will also prescribe me some oxygen, but I am not sure.

I'll give you more infos, in a few weeks.

Thanks for your answer,

Have a good day

Clodomir

7. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Having always been fairly sporty (but not athletic) before my onset, I clocked 16 METs on the treadmill stress test when I was sick last year, but it doesn't always correlate nicely with the Vo2Max, mine is less if I use the 12 minute running test vs the treadmill stress test. I acknowledge that I have never been as ill as others, but those tests do not capture the whole picture. From the 16 METs results I should be able to run marathons, but I'm not. I agree with Gamboa that it is unrelated to your AT, this is a more complex topic than just one value. 8 is low though, I have read that some people improve their cardiorespiratory system with inhaled glutathione, which I tried briefly and had good results.

8. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    I had a VO2 of 7 at my AT (which was 86.) Clodomir: Was your VO2Max 8 or your VO2 at AT? I am similar to you-- I am not bedbound and can cook for myself; what shocked me about having such a low score was that I have major cognitive and digestive problems but didn't consider myself that physically impaired. But maybe I am just getting used to always going over my threshold.

I have also been trying to come to terms with having such a bad result. I am mostly trying to reduce my physical activity to see if I improve some of my other symptoms, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

See more popular forum discussions.