• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamins & nutrients depleted by antidepressant drugs

Hip

I just came across this interesting list of vitamins and nutrients which get depleted by antidepressant drugs:

Common Drugs Deplete Nutrients, by Daniel T. Wagner

According to this author, TCA and SSRI antidepressant deplete the following:

B complex vitamins
Selenium
Zinc
Glutathione
Calcium
Magnesium
Vitamin C

Though the author does not quote his sources, so this info cannot be easily verified.

Nevertheless, anyone regularly taking TCA or SSRI antidepressants in the treatment of their ME/CFS or fibromyalgia might consider supplementing with the above, to prevent deficiencies.

TCA antidepressants can deplete vitamin B2 (riboflavin) in particular, so taking vitamin B2 with TCAs is beneficial. Ref: 1

arx

Interesting. I was looking into anticonvulsants and what all vitamins and minerals they deplete. This understanding of depletion can be very helpful , as maybe taking the depleted nutrients would help during SSRI discontinuation & Benzo withdrawal syndrome.

If you find something on benzos or other anticonvulsants, do share.

taniaaust1

Very interesting as all those things Ive found helpful to one symptom or another (except the Magnesium and Zinc.. but then the Zinc is in included in one of the pills which does help me some so maybe it helps me too some). I always get terrible reactions to SSRIs.

arx

I'm getting terrible reactions to Benzos. It's surprising because they used to help me a lot some months back. It's sad that our bodies become way too sensitive to things.