• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamins - doses and tests

Spinney Lainey

How have other people found out which vitamins to take and doses? I got my levels tested by a private doctor and was told what doses to take but they don't seem to be making any difference. Am therefore wondering if I got the dose wrong of some of them. How can I work this out? Any ideas?

vamah

I think doctors often suggest the lowest dosage for vitamins to avoid having people take too much. For example, I have vitamin d deficiancy and my old doctors didn't want me taking more than 1000iu per day. I have found that I need 5000 in the summer and even more in the winter. You can find info online toelp you avoid taking a toxic dose, but sometimes you just have to experiment by gradually increasing dosage and seeing what works for you.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I was
told that it can take 3 months or longer to correct vitamin and mineral deficiencies by my M.E doctor, and that's if you are taking the correct dosages and the correct type and you are able to absorb them. Some people use transdermal minerals to bypass absorption issues. I tired this with an iron spray as i didn't seem to be able to get my iron up by oral supplementation, however this didn't work either which made me wonder if any of the transdermal ones actually do work.

I think many people give up on them way too soon - also many vitamis are supportive, I don't believe you will always feel a difference, it can be subtle, or they could be stopping you from further harming your body or protecting it in the future.

What vitamins did they test for and what were your results?

I have a general issue with antioxidants, CoQ10 is very low, carnitine very low, niacin and B12, iron, selenium and manganese. The only one I noticed that made a difference in supplementing was the B12 and that was because I did daily injections of Methyl B12 for about a year.

Take care,
Justy.