• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D / Sleep Poll

Sleep Problem / Vitamin D Poll

• Less than 30 / Sleep is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30 - 50 / Sleep is fine

• Greater than 80 / Can't sleep without meds

• Total voters

SwanRonson

When I first got sick, my 25OHD tested at 25. I couldn't get more than 3 hours of sleep at night. My last test showed 47 and my sleep had improved quite a bit, but still not to the point where I could drop the sleep meds. I doubled my D3 by switching to 10k transdermal cream and on the days I use it I can successfully sleep through the night for 7-8 hours with no wake ups. Last night I slept 8 hours solid with no sleep meds for the first time in a couple of years.

I'd like to know what other people's D3 levels are and how they are sleeping.

Thanks!

maddietod

I wake 3-5 times a night and have for years, and my D level has fluctuated between 30 and 80. So there's no relationship for me.

Crux

OK, I'm an odd bird. Last checked, vitamin D was a 9.

I still can't tolerate it. 2mths ago, I rubbed about 400 iu on my arms for a couple of days. Then a very painful arthritic symptom started in my lower legs.

I'm hoping that all this gut work I'm doing will help. ( I've read that gut infections can affect vitamin D tolerance.)

Vitamin D also completely bungs my sleep.

Gondwanaland

OK, I'm an odd bird. Last checked, vitamin D was a 9.
1st time I checked it was 12, then I supplemented and got it to 43 in 4 months (3,000 IU daily) and also had the worst time in my life, also thyroid antibodies doubled, got depressed.

Now I haven't supplemented it in over 4 months and my levels actually got the highest ever (45), I guess that just by eating a ton of high quality, A2-casein dairy (no milk though - whole fat yogurt, mozzarella di buffala, emmenthal, buttermilk, curd, French butter - but also my cholesterol is the highest ever as well :wide-eyed: but LDL/HDL ratio is excellent). I also finally got my T3 dosage right, not sure if it is of any influence.

I can successfully sleep through the night
It was magnesium + vitamin A that did it for me, so I think the exact opposit of vit D?

Last edited:

PennyIA

I'm not sure about my vote, I've had my D levels as low as 7, as high as 90's and while the amount of sleep I get is fine, I wake up unrefreshed... although I've had some episodes of refreshing sleep while on methylfolate.

msf

Just a thought, might this be related to serotonin metabolism rather than Vit D? I have noticed that my sleep is usually better in the summer, and Trazadone definitely improves my sleep. Also, if it is VIt D that has an effect on our sleep, perhaps it isn't the 0.25 that is important but rather the 1:25? The increase in 0.25 might reflect a change in this ratio. Since 1.25 causes inflammation (I think) it could well have a impact on sleep.

msf

Oh, and my 0.25 levels were low normal and my 1.25 was high normal when it was measured a year ago. I haven't been able to sleep without meds since I fell ill.

Avalon

When I first got sick, my 25OHD tested at 25. I couldn't get more than 3 hours of sleep at night. My last test showed 47 and my sleep had improved quite a bit, but still not to the point where I could drop the sleep meds. I doubled my D3 by switching to 10k transdermal cream and on the days I use it I can successfully sleep through the night for 7-8 hours with no wake ups. Last night I slept 8 hours solid with no sleep meds for the first time in a couple of years.

I'd like to know what other people's D3 levels are and how they are sleeping.

Thanks![/QUOTE
@SwanRonson I too have severe insomnia and I have been playing around with dosage of vitamin d3, I currently take as a background supplement Biotics Research BIO-B 100 @ 1/2 to 1 tablet at day. I have built up my dosage of vitamin d3 to 2000 iu a day (sublingual). My main issues are that I still have a lot of wakes from about 4.00 am onwards, my legs tingle and often times ache and I suffer from fibromyalgia in my arms, which I now thinks is related to vitamin D deficiency (20 ng/ml) as the condition has improved. Another issue I have is that after taking my morning vitamin d3 I feel sleepy almost in a stupor state for ost of the day, this is not good for me as I need to have a clear headed during the day!, I decide to split the dose, 1 early morning and 1 at lunch time. I also no take magnesium via a topical spray.

What time of day do you take your vitamin d and does make feel sleepy during the day?

SwanRonson

What time of day do you take your vitamin d and does make feel sleepy during the day?

I've switched from oral 5000 IU to transdermal 10,000 IU. I took oral 5000 every other day for about 3 months and my levels went from 25 to 47. It tends to make my constipation pretty bad though, so I'm trying the 10,000 cream in hopes that it will be better in that regard.

For clarity on this poll/post, I have no idea whether my sleep is in any way related to my D level. That's what I'd like to get some insight on. For instance my sleep was great for weeks, then I've had two insomnia nights this week. But, I'm also fighting a cold right now, so who knows.

Dr. Gominack is convinced that 60-80 ng/ml is the optimal range for sleep. Since Vitamin D isn't really a vitamin at all (it's a steroid hormone) her theory makes sense. But, since tracking D levels requires a blood test it's hard to keep tabs on it.

I still think the every other day approach works best. Raising D too fast seems to trigger a chemistry freakout. Especially if you're really low. Steadily raising it over a 6 to 12 month period would seem wisest to me. As with any other hormone (like cortisol for instance) you don't want to go from 0-60 all at once. Your body has to adapt to the new chemistry.

It was magnesium + vitamin A that did it for me, so I think the exact opposit of vit D?

Interesting about the Vitamin A. I'm ++ for BCMO1 which converts beta-carotene to VitA. I wonder if you are the same.

Crux

I've read and heard many anecdotes about vitamin D improving sleep.

It's possible that the constipation cause may be from increased calcium absorption. To be safe, I suggest, check your calcium level to make sure. ( Elevated calcium can be dangerous.)

Avalon

I've switched from oral 5000 IU to transdermal 10,000 IU. I took oral 5000 every other day for about 3 months and my levels went from 25 to 47. It tends to make my constipation pretty bad though, so I'm trying the 10,000 cream in hopes that it will be better in that regard.

For clarity on this poll/post, I have no idea whether my sleep is in any way related to my D level. That's what I'd like to get some insight on. For instance my sleep was great for weeks, then I've had two insomnia nights this week. But, I'm also fighting a cold right now, so who knows.

Dr. Gominack is convinced that 60-80 ng/ml is the optimal range for sleep. Since Vitamin D isn't really a vitamin at all (it's a steroid hormone) her theory makes sense. But, since tracking D levels requires a blood test it's hard to keep tabs on it.

I still think the every other day approach works best. Raising D too fast seems to trigger a chemistry freakout. Especially if you're really low. Steadily raising it over a 6 to 12 month period would seem wisest to me. As with any other hormone (like cortisol for instance) you don't want to go from 0-60 all at once. Your body has to adapt to the new chemistry.

Interesting about the Vitamin A. I'm ++ for BCMO1 which converts beta-carotene to VitA. I wonder if you are the same.

Yes, agreed I always go slow and low but I take it that you have no sleepy symptoms during the day. What time do you take your vit D? I have read Dr. Gominak's web site several months ago hence the trialing of vitamin D. I definitely notice a difference, my sleep is better with more kind of mental creamy feeling on waking, but still have a number of wakes particularly after 4.00 (bed time 11.00 to 11.20). Colds affect my breathing, so does acid reflux/LPR and therefore sleep.

SwanRonson

Yes, agreed I always go slow and low but I take it that you have no sleepy symptoms during the day. What time do you take your vit D?

No sleepiness from the Vitamin D for me. Right now I'm using the 10k transdermal at lunch time every other day.

SwanRonson

intergenic GG (me) and AG (DH) what is considered +/+ here?

Not sure. Here are the relevant pages from my report.

gene_analysis_1_Page_7.jpg gene_analysis_1_Page_6.jpg

Not sure. Here are the relevant pages from my report.

View attachment 10470 View attachment 10471
They seem to be misreading the research at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2668002/ and overstating the effects. Admittedly that's easy to do, because the researchers thought it would be fun to create a new measurement of effect size, given solely as a standard deviation. The actual effect size of rs6564851 seems to be +9% a-carotene per G allele.

rs6420424 and rs6564851 seem to have nearly identical allele prevalence rates in many subgroups, and identical rates in Caucasians. So rs6564851, which isn't even on a gene, is probably just in strong linkage disequilibrium with rs6564851, which is an actual missense mutation. Hence only rs6564851 is really relevant, and rs6420424 is just along for the ride - the effect of the two is a duplication, and is not additive.

Gondwanaland

I have found that I have insomnia if I don't have enough circulating calcium, hence the help from vit A and magnesium. Vit B5 also helps me with better sleep. Obviously vit D and K will cause insomnia by binding calcium.

I suppose this can be an issue for several people aw well.

soxfan

My vitamin D level was just tested at 25...My sleep is very fractured and I wake anywhere between 3-6 times a night. I never feel rested. I have been taking 5000 units of D for years but my level never goes beyond 27. I live in NC and am out in the sunshine almost daily....