1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

vitamin d generation

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Cindi, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Cindi

Cindi Senior Member

Do you know how long does it take for the body to start generating vitamin d when person is under sun?For example if person is under sun for 2 or 3 minutes would some d generation take place?thanks.
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I think the current D recommendation (where i live.. Australia.. maybe some other places need more?) is 10 mins per day under the sun. with the arms and legs exposed. (sunscreens can block vitamin D out). I kknow this isnt the percise answer to your question but I hope it helps if you are trying to work out how much sun exposure per day is needed.
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    It really depends on where you live. For example, many months of the year where I live in the Midwestern USA, it is not possible to make any Vitamin D from sunlight no matter how long one spends in the sunlight due to the angle.

You can calculate and also see what dates and times it is possible to make Vitamin D using this calculator (it's not the most user friendly though):

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...gh-vitamin-d-perhaps-more-than-you-think.aspx

Hanna likes this.
  4. Cindi

Cindi Senior Member

Thanks so much but I think I could not explain my question clearly:).I am wondering if vit d generation starts right after one starts sitting under sun or if it needs some time to start. For example. one sits under sun for two minutes and than goes inside.Than after 5 minutes she goes out again and stays there for about 3 minutes and goes inside again. Would these small amounts allow body to generate some vit d? If generation starts after certain amount of time,let's say 10 minutes than this person will not have any benefit from staying under sun for 2-3 minutes.. What do you think?Thanks.
  5. Ted Hutchinson

Ted Hutchinson

Human skin is set to create vitamin D3 from the 7 dehydrocholesterol molecule near the skin surface from dawn to dusk given the presence of UVB from sunlight. Rather than think about the minimum requirement we should be thinking more about the levels that humans lving near naked outdoor lives, as human DNA evolved to work best with.
    Human breast milk is only a complete food for human babies when the mother has a 25(OH)D level around 50ng/ml 125nmol/l. It's only at that level that Vitamin D3 is fully effective as an anti-inflammatory agent.
    If we want to benefit fully from the antibiotic, anti-oxidant, antinociceptive properties we have to think about attaining and maintaining NATURAL vitamin d levels not the lowest possible level below which rickets quickly occurs.

There is a calculator here that enables you to work out how much time y ou need to spend outdoors to generate 1000iu of vitamin D3.
    Calculated Ultraviolet Exposure Levels for a Healthy Vitamin D Status
    However do bear in mind that NATURALLY full body non-burning sun exposure creates 10,000iu ~20,000iu and those are the numbers human skin EVOLVED to create naturally. To get the the point of Vitamin D equilibrium which humans living mainly outdoors natually attain/maintain between 50~70ng/ml takes at least 1000iu/daily vitamin D3 for each 25lbs you weigh. It is unlikely if someone just popping outside for a few minutes exposing only face/hands/arms would generate sufficient to counteract the vitamin D degrading effect that UVA has on vitamin D3. The reason no one living naked outdoors gets vitamin D toxicity is because surplus D3 remaining on the skin surface gets turned into Suprasterols the body doesn't use by the UVA component of sunlight. UVB doesn't pass through glass but UVA does. So if you spend time indoors by a window the sunlight on your skin is lowering your vitamin D level, Car windscreens/conservatory glass shop offiice windows, lorry/bus windows all do the same so people spending time in sunlight filtered through glass have lower vitamin d levels.
  6. Cindi

Cindi Senior Member

Wow! Thanks so much. This was great info.:)

See more popular forum discussions.