1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Vitamin D dosing - weekly or daily?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Gary1001, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Gary1001

Gary1001

Australia
    Vitamin d toxicity seems only to occur if taken for a sustained period of time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Toxicity). It would stand to reason that if you plused higher doses that averaged out to be within limits, you would be find.

Does anyone take high does once or twice a week oppose to daily?

I ask as it works out cheaper to buy a high concerted supplement and take less often (i.e. Thorne 25,000 UI). Not to mention less hassle and less stress on the stomach (my stomach freaks out at every supplement).
  2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    If a doc prescribes vit D, it's usually weekly.

Online I see discussion of 50,000 IU a week causing side effects.

I'm taking 8000 IU a day.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    A prescription for Vid D (at least in the US) is Vit D2, not 3. Maybe that is why they prescribe 50,000 iu. 5000 a day of D3, brought up my levels (before I was taking GcMAF), but sustaining that dose drove them too high.

Sushi
    merylg likes this.
  4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I got a prescription for 50,000 IU of D3 in the US when I first started taking it. I took it once a week and then switched to a daily, nonprescription strength as it was cheaper.
    merylg likes this.
  5. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Just to give you an idea....My vit d was bottomed out. After like 3 months of supplementing with probably close to 20,000ius per day liquid it was mid range. If you took like 6,000 IUs per week I doubt it would ever raise, lol.
    merylg likes this.
  6. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I believe that is D2 at 50,000 IUs, is it not?

GG
  7. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I've taken this one before: http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Vitamin-D3-5-000-IU-360-Softgels/18335 and it worked well. I also have taken the Swanson brand, and it works well. I think one of the most important thing is to get it in gel form, not the powder. I have been using both, and the powdered form is much less effective. Dr. Mercola says to get it naturally, supposed to be the best form, for some reason I cannot remember. Research it.

GG

See more popular forum discussions.