• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vitamin D and sleep

SwanRonson

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I remember seeing someone post here a few days ago about D3 making their sleep worse. This lady says that there is a narrow range (60-80) for 25OH where sleep is normalized and anything outside of that range disturbs sleep, high or low. I think she's correct. I've always fought with insomnia, but never as bad as the last 2 years. And, that's pretty much the same time period where my sleep went from ok to horrible.

SwanRonson

Looks like she has more information on her site dealing with the role that b12 (and other b's play):

http://drgominak.com/sleep/

Vitamin D, being a hormone and not a vitamin, is all about the levels. I need to have mine re-checked since I've been on 5000 IU per day since mid-October. My level then was 25. I went through a period about a month ago where I was sleeping 6 to 7 hours per night. Then it has slowly gotten worse since then to it's current miserable state. It'll be interesting to see what my levels are now.

Grigor

I did have times where I slept somewhat better when I got my monthly shot of 50.000 UG. Then my GP said to try 25.000 every week . But that didn't work.

She says 800 should be enough for daily use but obviously Stasha does not agree.

soxfan

I have low vitamin D as well...it was just tested and was 27. I just upped my Vitamin D to 5,000 and haven't slept well since. I am going to cut back and see if my sleep gets better. I have just had a week of basically no sleep ever since I upped the vitamins although could be just a bad sleep period...

Try increasing magnesium, D3 needs magnesium (among other nutrients) to work, and it might be putting you into a deficiency state. Magnesium (and calcium) deficiency affect sleep.

Try increasing magnesium, D3 needs magnesium (among other nutrients) to work, and it might be putting you into a deficiency state. Magnesium (and calcium) deficiency affect sleep.

Yep, not taking calcium causes me to have very bad sleep/insomnia when I up my vitamin D and magnesium intake. Both taking vitamin D and magnesium will increase the need for calcium.
All the usual calcium cofactors apply here (vit A, K2 and vit D and mag of course) but I always have to specifically mention boron. If you've been struggeling with calcium/magnesium/vitamin D; boron is crucial.

Research seems to point to 25OH only being converted to 1,25OH when necessary in healthy people so trying to maintain it inside a set range by limiting D intake seems like a bad idea and symptom treatment IMHO.

SwanRonson

Research seems to point to 25OH only being converted to 1,25OH when necessary in healthy people so trying to maintain it inside a set range by limiting D intake seems like a bad idea and symptom treatment IMHO.

I agree. I am leaning pretty heavily these days towards Vit D supplementation being a bad idea in general.

Actually, I meant the opposite :)
I'm confident the human body knows best in maintaining its vitamin D levels in the correct range. If it's not when measured that means something else, upstream, is going wrong. There's always a good reason why something happens, even if we don't understand it (yet).

Imagine our ancestors only sitting in the sun for 15mins a day, on doctors orders...right.

SwanRonson

Actually, I meant the opposite

Ah, I see. I think the Marshall protocol idea hinges on high levels of 25OHD resulting in down-regulation of the number of D receptors on cells. If that's the case, then high levels, in the longer term, would have the same practical effect as an actual dys-regulation of 25 to 1,25 conversion. Which would mean that keeping 25OHD in a certain range through supplementation is a bad idea too.

But, who knows. As far as I can tell there isn't any trial evidence for this yet. It's model theory. Unless I've missed some news.

Too much D gives me terminal insomnia (waking up too early). When I first started taking it, I was deficient and so took a fairly large dose of 5-6,000 IU per day. When I started getting the insomnia, I lowered my dose to 2,000 IU per day. That amount keeps my blood level where it should be.

D should be taken with K and magnesium.

SwanRonson

I'm having an interesting experience with A2 milk. My local Whole Foods started carrying it, so I bought a few cartons. Regular milk always gives me constipation, so I've avoided it for years. So far, the A2 is not causing any constipation. But, I didn't think about the added D3 until my sleep started to get messed up again in the days following starting to drink it. That reversed after a few days though, and now I'm doing ok with sleep again.

In the past when I've started supplementing with D3 it has totally wrecked my sleep, but that was with 5000 IU daily. Maybe the much lower dose in the milk just isn't doing anything because it's not enough to move the needle on my low D3 status, or maybe starting much lower is just more tolerable.

The last time I took D3 in pill form was after seeing Dr. Kaufman and it messed my sleep up for 2-3 weeks after I stopped taking it.

helen1

Interesting @SwanRonson . I'm having the opposite effects. For the past 2 weeks I've been getting 4 mins of UVB light 3x a week and my sleep is deeper and longer.

brenda

I have found that getting vitamin D from sunlight, has not affected sleep whereas supplication did.