• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C interferes with the H2S test

Emootje

After reading:
"Faecal hydrogen sulphide concentration is increased by increasing either the
sulphur amino acid content (as meat) or sulphate content (as additives) of the diet"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774231/pdf/gut05301479.pdf
I decided to try out a low sulfur diet and see if it influence my H2S test results.

Forbidden foods:
Sulfur containing food preservatives
Poultry
Red meats
Eggs
Dairy products, especially milk
Vegetables: asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, garlic, mustard, onions, pack choi, parsley, sweet potatoes, Swiss chard, tomatoes, watercress, yams
Legumes: beans, peas, lentils, soy, carob, jicama, alfalfa
Fruits: avocado, bananas, watermelon
Grains, nuts and seeds: corn, sunflower seeds, oats, cashews, walnuts, almonds, sesame seeds, coconut.
Tea and coffee
Whey proteins
Amino acids: cysteine, methionine
Vitamins B1 (thiamine) and H (biotin)
Certain medicines may contain sulfur (also check labels for amino acids cysteine or methionine that contain sulfur

Results:
6 March 2010 (normal diet, 5 gram calcium ascorbate, vitamin B complex B-50)

h2s test..jpg

3 August 2010 (3 days low sulfur diet, no calcium ascorbate, no vitamin B complex B-50)

3-8-2010 3 dagen z&.jpg

4 August 2010 (4 days low sulfur diet, 5 gram calcium ascorbate, vitamin B complex B-50)

4-8-2010 zwavelar&#109.jpg

18 August 2010 (normal diet, 5 gram calcium ascorbate, no vitamin B complex B-50)

18-08-2010 normaal&.JPG

2 September 2010 (3 days low sulfur diet, no calcium ascorbate, no vitamin B complex B-50)

2-9-2010  zwavelar.JPG

3 September 2010 (4 days low sulfur diet, 5 gram calcium ascorbate, no vitamin B complex B-50)

3-9-2010 zwavelar&#109.JPG

Conclusion:
Calcium ascorbate interferes with the H2S test.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Gosh you must have spent a lot getting all those tests!

Very interesting result. I wonder if it interferes with the actual amount of H2S in the body, or if it interferes with the proper working of the test reagent on the urine?

De Meirleir's assistant told me that smoking, or even exposure to ther people's smoke, interferes with the test a lot. He said there were a few other things, but I cannot remember them. I definitely think you should contact them about this, because they may not know.

Emootje

The experiment got a little out of hand but I was been able to reduce the cost by divide de urine and the reagent in halve so you get two tests for the price of one.
Last Friday I emailed the developer of the test (Chris Roelant) about my finding. I hope he will reply soon....

Emootje

I spoke to Kenny de Meirleir about this. He explained that calcium ascorbate lowers the pH in the gut which results in more H+ for H2S production. I feel actually much better on ascorbic acid, so I question his explanation.

end

Tryed to edit but some how deleted.

That is interesting as having a strongly positive indication myself I also find ascorbic acid helps a great deal. It makes me wonder if Vit C affects H2S detoxification/elimination

end

I spoke to Kenny de Meirleir about this. He explained that calcium ascorbate lowers the pH in the gut which results in more H+ for H2S production. I feel actually much better on ascorbic acid, so I question his explanation.

This is interesting:

Ascorbic Acid Eliminates H.Pylori Infection in 30% of cases 5000mg day/4 weeks - Which may be the reason why it makes us feel better

http://www.ion.ac.uk/information/onarchives/autumnhelicobacter-pylori

There is also an increase of Ammonia production associated with H.Pylori infection.. which is interesting