1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Vitamin C Dosing and Megadosing

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by arx, Dec 19, 2012.

1. arx

arx Senior Member

Hi,

I just wanted a view on how Vitamin C has helped people. There are people who are helped by large doses of this vitamin and there are those who are not.
    I have also read that :A cancer-causing mechanism of hexavalent chromium may be triggered by vitamin C.
    Reading things like this, I don't feel like going in for a megadose trial.

I know Vitamin C is not really useful in CFS and it might be a cofactor in many of the protocols,but if you have anything to share related to Vitamin C, please do.

Thanks.

2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I see Dr Rey @ Klimas and she has me on 2,000mg a day of Vit C (with CoQ10, Fish oil) they call it cell food. I am not sure what is doing but the protocol overall is helping me.

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Rich Vank says no more than 2 grams (2000 mg) of vitamin C for methylation purposes. In general, you would want to spread this out in several doses throughout the day, not all at once. Ben Lynch says no more than I think 500mg per dose (also for methylation purposes).

4. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Personally, I feel better when I limit myself to no more than 500 mg's of supplemental C per day. I take it as sodium ascorbate.

5. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I take 4 to 5 grams of Vitamin C a day, in 1 gram doses 2 to 3 hours apart.

GG

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I'm currently on 2g vit C per day, not prescribed by anyone. I found it has prevented my getting burst blood vessels in my eyes when I sneeze hard - this used to happen to me all the time and I read that vit C strengthens the blood vessels and is recommended as a remedy for this.

During my first (7 years confined to bed) bout of ME, I was under the care of a doctor who wanted me to slowly increase my dose of Vit C until it gave me diarrhoea and then cut back but 10%, which led to my taking a dose of 45g (that's not a typo) per day. I was on that for quite some time - months at least - and it didn't do a thing.

7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I take about 4g daily. Less than that, and I start to get gum inflammation.

8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    I myself find vitamin C helpful for the sniffy nose I wake up with that I sometimes get (allergy related I think..eg dust mite). 2g of Vitamin C in the morning seems to help to get rid of that symptom in my case

I also find Vit C helpful if Im coming down with a rare cold (I say rare as I rarely do get them) but I find that taking Vit C as soon as I start to get cold symptoms tends to stop further development. In that situation I usually take 2g morning and 2g night.

So one can say for me that I tend to take 2-4g per day when Im taking C (6g at the most if Ive gone to taking it 3 times daily due to catching flu/cold). I only usually take it for the above things.

SickOfSickness likes this.
  9. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Yes, I read the same thing. Lynch says that more than 500mgs will interfere with methyl-b12.

10. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Right, but if you take it 30 min after the mb12 it won't interfere.

11. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    And Rich also used to say (this was a few years ago--2008--, I don't know if his opinion changed later) that bowel-tolerance doses would help augment glutathione levels.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  12. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
  13. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Do you have a source for that Adreno? It just seems like it would take longer for the mb12 to do it's thing...???

14. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Methylcobalamin has a very short half-life, about 5 mins.

Your own source, Lynch says you should take vitamin C 20-30 minutes after the mb12:
    http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

15. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Thanks Adreno. :)

16. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
  17. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    To possibly revive this thread. I just started taking about 3g of Ester C daily and am feeling very good. Got energy and mind is much more clear and mood much better. Is anyone else taking this type of C?

18. Bryce74

Bryce74

The Netherlands, Europe
    I'd be careful with taking anti-oxydants in high doses. Anti-oxydants are supposed to protect us against cancer but latest research shows that anti-oxydants in high doses could promote cancer. There is nothing really against taking a high dose vitamin C for a few days to a couple of weeks, but I wouldn't take high doses for a long period.

High(er) doses of vitamin C can reduce ceruloplasmin oxidase activity (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3694287?dopt=Abstract ) which isn't necessarily a good thing.

400 - 500 mg a day (food + supplements combined) should be safe. And of course taken in smaller doses through the day.

See more popular forum discussions.