Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

vitamin C / citric acid / fruit INTOLERANCE

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by frenchmoxie, Oct 6, 2014.

?

can you tolerate vitamin C supplements?

1. yes

33.3%
  2. no

50.0%
  3. depends on form of vitamin C

16.7%
  1. frenchmoxie

frenchmoxie

Michigan
    Hey all!
    What forms of vitamin C do you all use that is optimal for collagen production? Or, is ascorbic acid sufficient? Also, I've got a friend who cannot tolerate citric acid, malic acid or FRUIT. He is having some issues with tendon/ligament pain and tearing and thinks it might be related to low intake of vitamin C. Any suggestions on how he can get more vitamin C in his diet WITHOUT supplementation, and without eating fruit (since he is unable to tolerate)?

Or any ideas on how to improve functioning/health of tendons and ligaments?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    It could be from proteases secreted by Mast Cells.

3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

@frenchmoxie your friend probably has salicylate intolerance. I overcame mine by supplementing magnesium oxide and today I can eat anything again except for coconut products (a little bit of coconut oil can be OK perhaps once a week) and can even tolerate buffered vitamin C. In my case high uric acid was also involved. Magnesium compensates the high acidity. Magnesium is one of the electrolytes and attention must be paid to keep all of them in balance (Ca, Na, Mg, K, Cl, P).

I hope this helps

izzy

See more popular forum discussions.