• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vitamin C / citric acid / fruit INTOLERANCE

can you tolerate vitamin C supplements?

• Total voters
Hey all!
What forms of vitamin C do you all use that is optimal for collagen production? Or, is ascorbic acid sufficient? Also, I've got a friend who cannot tolerate citric acid, malic acid or FRUIT. He is having some issues with tendon/ligament pain and tearing and thinks it might be related to low intake of vitamin C. Any suggestions on how he can get more vitamin C in his diet WITHOUT supplementation, and without eating fruit (since he is unable to tolerate)?

Or any ideas on how to improve functioning/health of tendons and ligaments?

Thanks in advance!

Gondwanaland

@frenchmoxie your friend probably has salicylate intolerance. I overcame mine by supplementing magnesium oxide and today I can eat anything again except for coconut products (a little bit of coconut oil can be OK perhaps once a week) and can even tolerate buffered vitamin C. In my case high uric acid was also involved. Magnesium compensates the high acidity. Magnesium is one of the electrolytes and attention must be paid to keep all of them in balance (Ca, Na, Mg, K, Cl, P).

I hope this helps

izzy