• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vitamin c - bowel tolerance test, a question!

gu3vara

Hi,

I'd like to experiment with vitamin c near to bowel tolerance and was wondering if it's important to use buffered C, like calcium or magnesium ascorbate vs ascorbic acid. I wonder if the acidity from the high dose of ascorbic acid could be bad.

Should I take it all at once or in divided dose to test bowel tolerance??

Thx :)

maddietod

I just added vitamin C to my regimen. I found that I can't tolerate 'regular' C at all. I bought Country Life buffered C, 1000mg, because the price was good. It also contains some calcium and magnesium, and it's time-release.

I've found that I can tolerate 3000mg of this vitamin C - just barely, and with a lot of gurgling - divided into 3 doses. 4000mg started getting, um, messy.

I also take magnesium, and I'm going to lower that and see if I can then take more of the C.

Charles555nc

Buffered vitamin c= too much calcium
Acidic vitamin c= too much acid

Sodium ascorbate (salt vitamin c) is the best imo. Large doses and drinking plenty of water are working well for me.

gu3vara

Thanks all.

I figured it was too much calcium indeed. I got bored after 14 mgs yesterday, didn't produce loose stool.

I think I'll keep that on hold and might retry with sodium ascorbate in the future, what source are you using Charles and where do you buy it? It can because quite expensive using several grams like you do.