• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C - any dangers?

Snookum96

I can't tolerate it at all. 500mg is past my bowel tolerance limit. My doc wanted me to take it three times a day and I tried for quite a while with the same result.

Aerose91

Dr. Lam loves vitamin C. I'm not sold on it just yet, however if excess free radicals are causing fatigue, Vitamin C might help. But I know some people said Lam had them up to 50 grams a day for "adrenal fatigue."

Your adrenals are tired. So while every other organ in the body just does what it's told based on signaling, the adrenal's are the only organ that gets tired. Damn those lazy adrenal glands! Get on the treadmill lazy glands!

:rolleyes:

http://midlifewithoutcrisis.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/415-lazy-and-unmotivated.jpg

Dr Lam had me on massive doses of vit c and it never had effect. Adrenal fatigue isn't a problem with the adrenals, it's signaling problem in the hypothalamus.

What to do about a sore anus, itchy, blood spotting. I started at 3 g (1 g 3x/day) and now up to 6 g/day. No diarrhea so GI seems to tolerate, no blood in stools. I'd hate to bail at the first sight of blood, but don't want to continue if this is damage causing. I'll take a day off and cut back down to 3 g and see what happens. Anyone have experience with this?

slysaint

One downside of vit c supplementation that I recently found out about is it can increase risk of kidney stones.

You probably don't really want to know, having never met me before, that bowel tolerance for me was 19 grams. I took 18 grams the first day, and nothing happened. That felt like a lot until I read elsewhere online that some people can tolerate up to 30 grams :O

I can't tolerate it at all. 500mg is past my bowel tolerance limit. My doc wanted me to take it three times a day and I tried for quite a while with the same result.

Interesting. Did it improve any of your symptoms at all? I can't seem to find any one with confirmed adrenal fatigue that has benefited from vitamin c supplementation in the long term, or any contribution towards recovery.

Interesting. Did it improve any of your symptoms at all? I can't seem to find any one with confirmed adrenal fatigue that has benefited from vitamin c supplementation in the long term, or any contribution towards recovery.

Who knows? Sigh. My symptoms HAVE improved quite a lot recently, but who knows if it's vit C, or the adrenal cortex, or the Moon in Uranus? I just don't know.

roller

wiggle jiggle
i can tolerate vit c only for a few days, then it turns the opposite.
lemon/citric acid in water gives me headache.

im not sure, if vitamin c is an aromatase inhibitor, i think the whole fruit is. but no less.
and it might be not the best one, then.
but it seems not fully understood which one is the best (natural).

Last edited: