• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C allergy - what now?

alicec

Reactions to vit C could be sensitivity towards oxalates. Reactions to rose hip could be sensitivity towards salicytes.

Yes I should have thought of that. I do know something about oxalates having that problem myself. Ascorbic acid is converted into oxalate and the low-ox people recommend sticking to fairly low doses - viz no more than 250 mg/day. Your oxalate levels could have gradually built up and now anything which increases them more is becoming obvious to you.

As an aside, when salicylate problems flared up a few years ago I found that oxalates seemed to be behind that - when I reduced oxalate consumption, salicylate sensitivity disappeared.

There is a thread on oxalate issues here. I'll repost my summary of the lo-ox website since I realised after the original post that I had forgotten to include lungs as a dumping site.

I wonder if sensitivity to oxalates and/or salicytes can explain some of my CFS symptoms? And the fantastic effect I have from B12, but not until 24 hours after taking it. Detox. I feel much better on liver support too.

Fatigue, pain, brain fog, insomnia can be associated with oxalate build-up so there could be some contribution. Liver support can be helpful for many things, but as you'll see in the summary, not oxalate detoxing (doesn't happen via phase I and II pathways).

Should I continue taking B12 or stop it? Take less? (I have Jarrow's sublinguals at home.) Will it help with brain fog and fatigue or will it just sky rocket my need for folate and make those symptoms worse? Or both? Since I can't tolerate C and obviously need it, at least for now, to have effect from folate, should I stop the protocol completely?

From my experience, I'd say don't stop, modify. Just take the amount of C you can tolerate, maybe cut back the B12 dose a bit (only you can judge that one), keep other supplements unchanged, then add in whatever you are testing to see if you can regain the beneficial effect you once received. My thought was that methylfolate was worth trying initially as a substitute for the folinic you had been using. This might not be enough, you may need to add in minerals or something else.

No easy answer unfortunately. All I know is that dropping everything back to a really low level while I rethought was a mistake. As the brain fog got worse I became increasingly unable to think my way out of the problem. It was only when I took the DQ back up to a moderate level and added in boron that the fog began to lift. Things are still up and down so there is more experimenting to do.

Attachments

• OXALATE SUMMARY.pdf
    303.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Ninan

Thanks @alicec and @Freddd I can't seem to tolerate any C at the moment. And without C no effect from folate, so it'll be like taking B12 without folate even though I need a lot. But since lithium seems to have made B12 work a bit again without folate (or more than I get from food) I will try to continue but lower the dose. Guess I'll just have to live with the low folate symptoms until I can tolerate C or get an effect from folate without it.

Great document on oxalates! I think I'm experiencing some oxalate dumping. Itchy skin, strong taste in mouth, acid stomach etc. I've cut down on oxalates a lot lately without knowing it. So, here we go. Took some medium oxalate foods to balance it and have read up on what supps to take. How did lowering oxalates affect you @alicec ? Did it make a big difference?

Today I've felt good, better energy than for long time. It's sound energy, healthy, not the speedy kind I get from folate. Not sure if it's the lithium but I guess it must be.

It seems like every step forward starts with a minor tragedy. Healing sure is a journey.

alicec

How did lowering oxalates affect you @alicec ? Did it make a big difference?

It's hard to separate it out from the various other things I have tried, but over time I think it has been helpful with energy and pain. Just knowing about the many metabolic pathways that oxalate messes with is enough to convince me that my endogenous oxalate production is not something to take lightly. I have to keep working at it.

EDIT to add, as mentioned previously, reducing oxalates in my diet eliminated a lot of food sensitivities which had started to re-emerge after a long period in abeyance.

In the early part of last year I felt I was making progress on many fronts, not just getting on top of oxalate issues, then things took a big nosedive.

I'm still trying to unravel the disaster. Some things I did certainly contributed - eg messing around with VSL3 and B6. This probably lead to a period of oxalate accumulation which messed up lots of other things. Maybe that contributed to the mineral imbalances I am now experiencing.

Still the best single thing I have ever done is to try @Freddd's DQ, even though it has been a very rocky road. It was losing all those gains that has made the last 6 months so difficult. I feel like a new person again (well sometimes) just from adding back boron, but I'm sure I need more experimenting to really get things happening.

So just keep working at the B12 puzzle looking for the new combinations that recapture the benefit. It may need ongoing adjustment.

Last edited:

Ninan

I felt great on two crumbles of lithium for a week but I think the effect is disappearing slowly. I took a bit of estrogen cream yesterday which seems to have depleted folate. Huge lack of folate-pressure on my chest today.

I guess lithium stops working when I start lacking cofactors. :( Seems lithium depletes folate and inositol. And if I can't tolerate C I seem to get just more signs of folate deficiency from taking folate. Guess I had some stored but that it will be gone soon. It's been more than a week since I felt I had effect from folate. And if I've noticed any effect from B12 (Jarrow's sublingualls, I've taken two this week) it's more symptoms of folate deficiency. Nothing else.

I've considered raising my lithium dose (I take 2/20 of 5 mgs a day) but I guess that would just deplete more cofactors. So instead I'm going to try to take just a little C and see if I can tolerate it, and if it makes a difference. Raising my mineral complex dose too, in case there is something I need there. I've not taken much lately.

Wish I could give this a rest for a few days but I just have to make it work.

Freddd

Something I would like to say is that other nutrients can very definitely go short. My example today is protein. When I had my tests, one of the things I had was indicators of protein deficiency. I increased my protein, about doubled them, and in 36 hours nausea went away, need for potassium picked up a little (as the food has potassium also). I wasn't getting enough protein since my teeth were removed and was starting to have healing failure from low protein. Look at "BUN" on the blood tests as a possible indicator of low protein. Mine was connected to a change in diet because right now I can't sit down to a nice steak or whatever. I have had to go to pot roast veggie stew with lots of beans as well as meat in it and 2 eggs in morning. Aside from my grandfather with ALS using a liver concentrate for the broth, I'm eating similarly now. He had a very high protein diet going. From the symptoms, I've been deficient of protein since my teeth were pulled nearly 4 months ago. I remember that coming up with people with teeth problems in nursing homes in my years of consulting. We had to bring it to the attention of the management.

Being slow adn cautious with methylfolate and potassium made things far worse for far longer than if I had just gone up on potassium to the estimated endpoint the first day and smaller additional corrections on following days and moving folate up by 50 to 100% per day. Every attempt at being "conservative" made things worse for me causing far mopre damage in the end and tripling the length of healing.

Ninan

@Freddd Do you have any idea why I need so much C to metabolize folate? It wasn't like that before, I didn't even need to take folate back then. I've needed more and more C over time (if I took 4 grams of C instead if 5 I needed 6-10 mgs of folate instead if one) and now it seems lack of C completely stops the uptake of folate. The more folate I take, even in food, the worse are the folate deficiency symptoms. Why do I feel so bad when I take folate now?

Lithium worked wonders for a few days but now I'm going down again. Probably because lithium needs folate to work. I need C for folate but can't tolerate any.

Last edited:

Freddd

@Freddd Do you have any idea why I need so much C to metabolize folate? It wasn't like that before, I didn't even need to take folate back then. I've needed more and more C over time (if I took 4 grams of C instead if 5 I needed 6-10 mgs of folate instead if one) and now it seems lack of C completely stops the uptake of folate. The more folate I take, even in food, the worse are the folate deficiency symptoms. Why do I feel so bad when I take folate now?

Lithium worked wonders for a few days but now I'm going down again. Probably because lithium needs folate to work. I need C for folate but can't tolerate any.
@Ninan,

That is because the internal triage levels. Folate starts healing by entire levels, making up deficits by taking from other triage levels causing worse deficiencies on more levels until enough is taken to satisfy all needs, at least to the best of by understanding of the experiences I have gone through for 13 years. And the muscles, the biggest bulk of cells that needs to get made is one of the last levels to start healing and the most tissue. You might find a big difference at 15 to 30mg of Metafolin or 1.5 times that for 6S methylfolate. I did. Remember, without the C, the folate can't be used, rather than lack of absorption At least that is what the various things all appear to add up to. Read all these things and decide what you are going to do. If you just take 15 to 30mg a day you will know in 2 or 3 days without a doubt as far as I know. The folate you take in food might be veggie folate and you might not be able to use it so it accumulates and blocks l-methylfolate from functioning and requires a lot more methylfolate to overcome that blocking. Same with folic acid and folinic acid for many people.

I have been taking 14 to 16 grams of C since the Linus Pauling days when he was asked "how do you know when you are taking enough C? ANS: "When you stop getting sick.". So, what deficiency disease does vitamin C cause? Scurvy, and that is the inability to make collagen. Basically there is a failure to make cells. Apparently it fails before the methylation fail so that more C allows more cells to be made requiring more methylation requiring more l-methylfolate. And Copper is connected to connective tissue and affects the gums and veins and capillaries same as vitamin C. So copper and manganese and so on are also likely required too.

Early symptoms are malaise and lethargy. Even earlier might be a pain in a section of the gums which interferes with digestion. After 1–3 months, patients develop shortness of breath and bone pain. Myalgias may occur because of reduced carnitine production. Other symptoms include skin changes with roughness, easy bruising and petechiae, gum disease, loosening of teeth, poor wound healing, and emotional changes (which may appear before any physical changes). Dry mouth and dry eyes similar to Sjögren's syndrome may occur. In the late stages, jaundice, generalized edema, oliguria,neuropathy, fever, convulsions, and eventual death are frequently seen.[7] ... Ascorbic acid is needed for a variety of biosynthetic pathways, by accelerating hydroxylation and amidation reactions. In the synthesis of collagen, ascorbic acid is required as a cofactor for prolyl hydroxylase and lysyl hydroxylase. These two enzymes are responsible for the hydroxylation of the prolineand lysine amino acids in collagen. Hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine are important for stabilizing collagen by cross-linking the propeptides in collagen. Defective collagen fibrillogenesis impairs wound healing. Collagen is an important part of bone, so bone formation is affected. Defective connective tissue leads to fragile capillaries, resulting in abnormal bleeding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

Ninan

You might find a big difference at 15 to 30mg of Metafolin or 1.5 times that for 6S methylfolate. I did. Remember, without the C, the folate can't be used, rather than lack of absorption
Thanks, that explained a lot. But then it seems I get the same symptoms of folate deficency from absorbing some but not enough (taking supps) as from losing folate (taking estrogen cream that uses up folate). That sounds strange to me.

I tried 16 mgs of folinic acid without effect. Then I took some metafolin and that just made it worse. Does this mean that I did absorb and use some of it and that the symptoms I interpret as need for folate (huge pressure over my chest) meant folate created more deficiencies? Is that why I feel worse when I take more folate? It means I'm on my way but need more? Then I guess there is a level where folate makes everything work again, but it might be very very high without C? Is there any idea taking folate when I can't take C?

Is the low level of C that I have causing only a small percentage of folate to work? Then maybe I would have an effect from much more. But I felt so bad when I took folate I don't really want to go there again. Two days ago I took some estrogen cream which seemed to wipe out the folate I had left. The pressure over my chest has been bad since then. (Does that mean I get the same symptoms from taking and from losing folate?) And I'm really scared of losing the effect since I'm so terribly sick without it.

I guess the only things I can do are:

1. Try increasing metafolin up to 30 mgs and see what happens. And eliminate other folate while I'm at it.
2. Do hair mineral testing to find out what folate is compensating for. I must be lacking something, right? Maybe more than just one thing. That's what this is all about? Maybe adding a trace mineral complex like this: http://eu.iherb.com/Trace-Minerals-Research-Trace-Mineral-Tablets-300-Tablets/22267
3. Do the 23andme testing? Could it help? I already checked for MTHFR.

Last edited:

Ninan

Could this be it?

1) I lack something or some things and therefore need either
  • huge amounts of folate or
  • low levels of folate with lots of C since C makes folate work better = same effect as lots of folate
2) My need for C has increased over time since my need for (effect from) folate has increased. And that is because I lack more and more of something else.

3) Now: Without C I need so much folate I haven't even considered taking that much. Maybe so much I can't take enough. Taking more folate just creates more deficiencies and I never reach the point where all needs are satisfied.

I read your post on Refeeding Syndrome, @Freddd (great post btw) and recognize the induced deficiencies pattern. I normally get symptoms of low folate all the time but when I take enough Mg, Zn or C (whatever I seem to lack this time) the need for folate goes down within two hours (Zn and Mg) or about twelve (C). It's usually one of those three. And maybe C is different since it increases the effect of folate rather than compensate for some deficiency, like Zn and Mg obviously does. I seem to lack them all the time and especially Mg is hard to raise. I struggle with that every day, not sure why.

You wrote this in the Refeeding Syndrome post: "I have a hallmark symptom of adult onset CblC disease, rapid onset of catastrophic B12 deficiency from glutathione." I started getting B12 deficiency despite taking lots of B12 when trying a supplement containing glutathione. I stopped in time since I'd read your post on B12 and knew it could happen. Does that reaction say anything about what's wrong with me?

Ninan

Sorry for spamming. Short question: I wonder if the methylfolate deficency symptoms I think I'm having are actually low potassium. Heavy pressure over my chest, palpitations, fatigue, can hardly lift my arms when it's at it's worst. Taking metafolin usually helps. But these symptoms go away when I take Mg or Zn or whatever I seem to need at the moment, so I've interpreted these symptoms as lack of metafolin.

Can low potassium symptoms disappear with lots of folate?

Ninan

Just realized bone broth seems to be the best source of glycine which helps in making glutathione. I've been drinking 2-3 cups of bone broth every day for two weeks because of my gut symptoms. Could that be giving me B12 deficiency?

Freddd

Could this be it?

1) I lack something or some things and therefore need either
  • huge amounts of folate or
  • low levels of folate with lots of C since C makes folate work better = same effect as lots of folate
2) My need for C has increased over time since my need for (effect from) folate has increased. And that is because I lack more and more of something else.

3) Now: Without C I need so much folate I haven't even considered taking that much. Maybe so much I can't take enough. Taking more folate just creates more deficiencies and I never reach the point where all needs are satisfied.

I read your post on Refeeding Syndrome, @Freddd (great post btw) and recognize the induced deficiencies pattern. I normally get symptoms of low folate all the time but when I take enough Mg, Zn or C (whatever I seem to lack this time) the need for folate goes down within two hours (Zn and Mg) or about twelve (C). It's usually one of those three. And maybe C is different since it increases the effect of folate rather than compensate for some deficiency, like Zn and Mg obviously does. I seem to lack them all the time and especially Mg is hard to raise. I struggle with that every day, not sure why.

You wrote this in the Refeeding Syndrome post: "I have a hallmark symptom of adult onset CblC disease, rapid onset of catastrophic B12 deficiency from glutathione." I started getting B12 deficiency despite taking lots of B12 when trying a supplement containing glutathione. I stopped in time since I'd read your post on B12 and knew it could happen. Does that reaction say anything about what's wrong with me?

Hi Ninan,

You ask some tough questions, tough because there is so little information on them. When I first started to try to figure out what was wrong with me, back in 1978-79, I spent days in the library reading journals, on paper. I came up with CblC disease as being an almost perfect match for the symptoms I had at that time. They were a lot of very distinctive B12 deficiency symptoms all scrambled up with folate deficiency symptoms as without having the actual MeCbl, AdoCbl and l-methylfolate there was no way to know exactly what was what. However, the folate deficiency symptoms caused by methyltrap were considered B12 deficiency symptoms, which they were in the sense that taking b12 (CyCbl in those days). In any case, at that point many were clustering into what was diagnosed as FMS 20 years later and I was called names by doctors. CblC was identified but not understood. What I was able to find out was that most died as infants and those that survived to adulthood, 3 known survivors, were all in nursing homes because of the severity of the neurological symptoms, (basically severe Sub Acute Combined degeneration). In this century, new studies were done and found that there were adults who had survived with relatively small numbers of symptoms until something triggered many severe symptoms and then they get clobbered.

In 1987 in early December I had FMS symptoms but was still able to ski and went skiing with my 3 year old son for the first and only time. A week or two later I woke up in the morning completely crashed and managed to crawl to the bathroom before vomiting. My wife got similarly sick. The doctor diagnosed "a miscellaneous entero virus". She got well after 3 months.

I went downhill from there for 16+ years, adding about 2/3 of my total symptoms either at the time of the illness or the 6 months of change from acute to chronic as many of the symptoms changed. I had just had my first demyelination episode. From there on I developed symptoms of Methylmalonic acidemia and hyper-homocysteinemia, the extreme forms of B12 deficiency despite having "in range" cobalamin (CyCbl and folic acid taken daily). Everything was damaged and none of the tests made sense to the doctors.

Six or seven years ago, it was clear something was missing. Ten of us, all doing well on the deadlock quartet but knowing something was missing, tried glutathione in various forms; some taking NAC and l-glutatamine, some IV infusions of glutathione with their doctors, some various oral forms of glutathione and a person or two taking whey to stimulate the production of glutathione. As far as getting glutathione into the system it was a 100% success. What it did to us though was completely unexpected. T

he first few days the pain the neurological pain went down and at first it seemed pretty good. Then all the b12 and folate deficiency symptoms started proliferating and getting worse. The ONLY differences were in time of onset, maybe at least due to forms and doses, and individual variations of the usual sort of individual variations. The symptoms each of us had before the DQ came roaring back.

At 6 weeks many of us started having obvious demyelination episodes and we stopped the trial immediately and did out best to reverse the symptoms. It took several days of sizable doses of MeCbl, AdoCbl and l-methylfolate to start reversing the glutathione symptoms but things never were as good as before. In hindsight it looks like that was when the copper ran out and started causing problems. We had all been working with the MeCbl, AdoCbl, l-methylfolate (barely available at a reasonable price) for 3-5 years. Something was missing, copper, not glutathione. But again, tests showed us to be "in range".

So I was the most damaged in the beginning, I had the worst response the fastest. 100% of us, there for may different reasons, all had essentially the same bad responses. Some were vegan, most were not. I doubt that all 10 of us had CblC problems. However, 100% of us were intolerant of folic acid. Because of the differences, the different speed of onset, the different severities, and different forms of glutathione or precursors it looked like dose related differences.

However, I was the only one with 2 hour onset and only one person, on whey, took as much as 3 days. The research published in 2011 mentioned the hallmark symptom of "catastrophic B12 deficiency" which I experienced as 2 hour methyltrap onset. It also said that limiting B12 was a bad idea for people with this, that they also had unstable electrolytes (minerals and metals) and low cellular folate. Whether that low folate was a result of treatment or caused by the polymorphism was not specified. However, I had experienced unstable electrolytes all my life and as a child and teen regularly woke up screaming from the spasms I now know are caused by low potassium. Low tissue potassium is a characteristic of FMS/CFS according to the research paper Rich posted after I described my experiences to him.

So, do you have CblC polymorphisms because of your response to glutathione? It's hard to tell. Either there are variations of CblC polymorphisms (which are described as having "very heterogeneous symptoms) that are at the heart of CFS/FMS for a lot of us and it isn't anywhere as rare as thought, or it could be the MTHR polymorphisms and some others or maybe it is merely a matter of dose and if a person takes too much (however much that is) glutathione it's going to do the same thing, or for some combination of all the reasons.

What your reaction appears to say is that you respond to glutathione in a way characteristic of people who generally have good effects from the DQ. Which also could mean that it likely induces other deficiencies appearing as what looks like refeeding syndrome.

Magnesium is fundamental to allowing MeCbl to work in the body. Many people are struggling with getting enough magnesium in their bodies. It;s things like this that makes for so much variation amongst people.

Last edited:

Ninan

@Freddd The beginning of your story sounds a lot like mine. I fell ill after an ear infection and only B12 has ever worked well. In the beginning I could take cyan-B12 pills though, and have great effect. And I have never noticed any difference between the different kinds of folate. Not even now: With C they all work, without none of them seem to work.

It seems I get paradoxal folate deficiency from all kinds of folate, even metafolin, without C. Could that be? The more I take, the worse I feel. Is it possible that even though more folate makes me feel worse, I can make it work by taking lots of metafolin? I'm kind of scared of trying since it makes me feel so bad. I seem to be getting depressed (I never get depressed), my BF says my eyes are all empty. I feel empty. Guess it's the folate deficiency.

Last edited:

Tunguska

Something I would like to say is that other nutrients can very definitely go short. My example today is protein. When I had my tests, one of the things I had was indicators of protein deficiency. I increased my protein, about doubled them, and in 36 hours nausea went away, need for potassium picked up a little (as the food has potassium also). I wasn't getting enough protein since my teeth were removed and was starting to have healing failure from low protein. Look at "BUN" on the blood tests as a possible indicator of low protein. Mine was connected to a change in diet because right now I can't sit down to a nice steak or whatever. I have had to go to pot roast veggie stew with lots of beans as well as meat in it and 2 eggs in morning. Aside from my grandfather with ALS using a liver concentrate for the broth, I'm eating similarly now. He had a very high protein diet going. From the symptoms, I've been deficient of protein since my teeth were pulled nearly 4 months ago. I remember that coming up with people with teeth problems in nursing homes in my years of consulting. We had to bring it to the attention of the management.

Being slow adn cautious with methylfolate and potassium made things far worse for far longer than if I had just gone up on potassium to the estimated endpoint the first day and smaller additional corrections on following days and moving folate up by 50 to 100% per day. Every attempt at being "conservative" made things worse for me causing far mopre damage in the end and tripling the length of healing.

I can't help but point out in your recent posts all these deficiencies can link. Protein increases copper absorption as does potassium.

Freddd

I can't help but point out in your recent posts all these deficiencies can link. Protein increases copper absorption as does potassium.

@Tungusta,

Anorexia, whatever the cause can be dangerous. So mouth pain, nausea from liver damage from antibiotics and various thnigs add up to eating too little, deficiencies can show up even with supplements. A fundamentally good balanced diet is essential for healing for any of us. Protein foods also carry potassium and copper and many nutrients in addition to protein. Things tend to cascade making thing worse because they are all so interlocked. They all link together and make the patterns that if we can see them quickly enough we can correct before serious damage is done.

Things breaking down then over a long period of time then cause a backlog of tissue formation that tries to catch up when we get the most deficient things causing refeeding syndrome, which is the body ramping back up for full operations after everything had gotten turned way down.

B12/folate and other deficiencies can cause specific forms of anorexia as can mouth problems. When one feels nauseated all the time or the food is hustled though so fast hardly anything is absorbed or what is absorbed can't be used and so on. all makes it ever so difficult to correct. I used to like to eat, like many. I liked it well enough I made sure I prepared fresh foods every day. I was considered a pretty good cook. I lost most of my sense of taste, and the rest altered for 15 to 20 years of the worst B12/folate and had constant nausea and vomited daily.

It's no wonder that so many of us have so many deficiencies with so many causes. It makes me want to ask is there anybody here that absorbs food well and has no digestive system problems and no mouth problems and so forth? Poor eating is what kills many older people. It often becomes an exercise in pain toleration to eat. And when dentures take away half of the flavor it gets even tougher.

Many discussion on these forums are about food, for good reason. Memory foam has helped make sleeping more possible for many, me included. And I don't know about you, but my body is limited to about 1500 calories a day or I gain weight. Now it takes me 2 hours to eat a meal and get my supplements in me. Good eating.

Freddd

http://thankyoudawson.tumblr.com/post/127088381010/what-if-someone-educated-could-manage-my

I'm trying to get hold of a doctor versed in methylation to get some more help. Not sure what they can do though. Take some tests I guess. I'm so scared of getting that sick again. :cry: My brain gets so sensitive I can't even look people in the eye. Not stand up, not read. You've been there too, right, @Freddd ?

Hi Nina,

I've been there too. At the bottom, in 2002 and early 2003, I wasn't able to eat easily. I couldn't read because I couldn't focus my eyes. I could hardly stand up, I was catching my toes on the rug and falling for lack of knowing where my feet and legs were and was headed for a wheelchair. Everything was hypersensitive and impaired. When I had an incredibly huge response to my first MeCbl I knew my life was changed. So far I have been following the path back to being able to live for 13 years.

And everything needed combinations of nutrients as you are finding Things don't wok without the right multitude of combinations.

Ninan

Someone said that since C is so important to me maybe Kreb's cycle is involved. I have great effect from MeCbl but the effect kicks in after 50 hours. Not 48, not 52. Nothing happens before that. It's very strong effect. I know you've said before, @Freddd that it might have to do with my body turning lots of MeCbl into AdenosylCbl. That's Kreb's, isn't it? Wonder if there is a connection there.

I'm doing hair mineral testing and 23andMe now. Just hope I get the results in time.

Oci

...In the early part of last year I felt I was making progress on many fronts, not just getting on top of oxalate issues, then things took a big nosedive.

I'm still trying to unravel the disaster. Some things I did certainly contributed - eg messing around with VSL3 and B6. This probably lead to a period of oxalate accumulation which messed up lots of other things. Maybe that contributed to the mineral imbalances I am now experiencing.
I am puzzled by your comment about VSL#3 and B6. Why do you think they contributed to mineral imbalances?

I'm back dealing with the oxalate problem after a bit of a reprieve. I went on vacation and ate and drank unwisely!!! Now I am back home and ready to try to deal with oxalates again.
I tried VSL#3 earlier and had a lot of brain fog from it as well as histamine. I then was using Lactobif which supposedly contains the probiotics to help with oxalates. Also was taking Sacch Boulardi and l-glutamine as well as 2,000 mcg Biotin. This combo seemed to "work" for candida and oxalate problems. Will try again!
I am taking B6 and now wonder if I should be.
Many thanks for your papers on Oxalates!

Freddd

Someone said that since C is so important to me maybe Kreb's cycle is involved. I have great effect from MeCbl but the effect kicks in after 50 hours. Not 48, not 52. Nothing happens before that. It's very strong effect. I know you've said before, @Freddd that it might have to do with my body turning lots of MeCbl into AdenosylCbl. That's Kreb's, isn't it? Wonder if there is a connection there.

I'm doing hair mineral testing and 23andMe now. Just hope I get the results in time.

@Ninan,

Vitamin C is ascorbic acid, not citric acid. The Kreb's cycle is also the citric acid cycle. However, vitamin C is necessary for making components of tissue and so it's lack causes a breakdown in making tissue similarly to but differently from lack of folate. The AdoCbl, which appears to be formed by most people from MeCbl but not always enough, is necessary for the mitochondria in making ATP. Many of the reactions are due to the increased biochemical reactions flowing from ATP, powering enzymes, AdoCbl directly acting on inflammation and AdoCbl processing fats. 50 hours is puzzling. It may be that a person has no quickly reactive MeCbl deficiency items and there is just the delayed items of healing showing up early on the 3rd day. What are the reliable change in symptoms?