• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin B12 has made me short of breath

Well, having read that B12 is good for us MEers, I decided to try some. Not huge doses but a small entry level. Well I was ok for a couple of weeks but now I'm very short of breath even at rest. I haven't taken any for a whole week and the breathlessness remains. Have I permanently altered something or will this go away? I know that being short of breath is an ME symptom but I have never experienced it at rest before for such prolonged periods. Is there any scientific reasoning why B12 supplementation might have brought this on and if so, why is it still present when I stopped the B12 over a week ago?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi,

Sorry to hear this. What form of B12 did you take, and was it sublingual? injected? and what dose? Are you also taking active folates?

Sushi

Crux

sunking101

Hi, I've had shortness of breath from B12 deficiency, and when I've needed potassium. Potassium works quickly, within an hour, where as B12 takes some weeks or months to work.
It could be that the B12 supplement increased the requirement for potassium. (?)

I was taking a Jarrow sublingual methyl cut into a quarter per day as when I tried the full tablet I got palpitations. I never took folate although I do have an unopened bottle of Solgar methyl on my shelf which I was going to include in my supplementation. Due to the shortness of breath I have suspended all supps except a multivit.

In the three months before the shortness of breath started I was taking one tablet of sea kelp containing only 100% of the iodine RDA. I was also taking an RDA level multivit and multimineral, a Jarrow gamma vitamin E pill, 100 mcg of selenium and RDA levels of magnesium malate.
Now whenever I take selenium or B12 I become very breathless and even now it is over a week without either and I am still experiencing prolonged bouts of breathlessness. I stopped the sea kelp almost a fortnight ago. It is either a complete coincidence and this breathing symptom would have happened anway, after all it is a recognised ME symptom but I can't help thinking that the B12 or maybe even sea kelp tablets have caused this. I had been on the sea kelp three or four times as long as the B12 though. I have read about the potassium link and bought some 99mg tablets but I am kinda scared by supplements right now and just want to get back to not having this breathlessness. Any advice would be greatly received.

Crux

Hi, sunking,
There are many foods and drinks that are very high in potassium. Many people here drink coconut water for its high potassium content. Blackstrap molasses is very high. Winter squash, bananas, potatoes, etc. are loaded with it.
I would guess that a concentrated form would be more noticable. ( coconut water )

When I was trying high amounts of iodine, I developed heart palpitations that were stopped when I added potassium.

I understand the feeling, shortness of breath is frightening. In the past, I would sit still upright, try to relax, and wait between breaths, to be able to take a deep breath. Then wait a bit to take the next breath.

Hope this helps...

Any supplement I've used previously which hasn't agreed with me, the side effects have gone within two days once I stop the product. I just wondered if there is any grounds for me to believe that B12 was/is causing my problems over a week after stopping taking it?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Any supplement I've used previously which hasn't agreed with me, the side effects have gone within two days once I stop the product. I just wondered if there is any grounds for me to believe that B12 was/is causing my problems over a week after stopping taking it?

Methyl B12 effects have lasted a couple of weeks for me--even when I took less than you did--so yes, it is possible with some of us.

Best wishes,
Sushi