• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin A Levels (Free Retinol)

TheMoonIsBlue

Has anyone had their Free Retinol (Vitamin A) Levels Checked? Mine was within the normal range, but barely. Is this just another result of Chronic Illness and Immune Dysfunction, and likely vitamin malabsorption that likely goes along with ME/CFS?

Has anyone supplemented with Vitamin A and found any benefit?

Thank You!

Mij

Has anyone had their Free Retinol (Vitamin A) Levels Checked? Mine was within the normal range, but barely. Is this just another result of Chronic Illness and Immune Dysfunction, and likely vitamin malabsorption that likely goes along with ME/CFS?

Has anyone supplemented with Vitamin A and found any benefit?

Thank You!

Yes, my levels were at the 38 percentile. I drank all sorts of vegetable juices for years before the test so I'm obviiously not absorbing properly. All my antioxidants were below 50% except Coenzyme Q-10 which was borderline. A special formula was made up for me by a biochemist and I took the stuff for 3 months. I felt somewhat better but never retested to see if my levels went up.

Lotus97

I've read that too much vitamin A (in sources other than beta carotene) can block vitamin D. I've been taking vitamin A only as beta carotene, but I am concerned that I might not be converting it into retinol. Aside from getting tested regularly, does anyone have an idea of how much is too much?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I was taking 25,000 IU/day for several years as part of my Macular Degeneration protocol. About a year ago, it was taken out of the formula. I tapered down to 10,000 IU every other day and got floaters and 'tired eyes', so I am back to 10,000 IU/day. I have never had my levels tested.