The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Vitamin A deficiencies lead to increased susceptibility to disease.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ema, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...cedaily (Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily)

merylg, maryb, SickOfSickness and 2 others like this.
  2. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Those foods are rich in beta-carotens, vitamin A precursor that has to be converted by the liver into vit A. However, sweet potatoes and spinach are so high in oxalates that they might cause more harm than good in susceptible individuals (myself).
    @aaron_c

dannybex likes this.
  3. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Cod liver oil is also rich in Vitamin A. Not only that but it has vitamin D, and even Omega 3's; DHA/EPA.

merylg and Gondwanaland like this.
  4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I agree w/ @Gondwanaland -- none of those foods listed have any 'vitamin a' in them. Vitamin A is found only in animal foods. The carotenes need zinc, etc., to be converted into 'a' in the liver.

5. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Glad you highlighted this as it is wellknown from litterature that the ability to convert betacaroten to vitamin A is impaired among people with (untreated?) hypothyroidism. I never read what happens after proper hormone supplementation but I guess it should work as in healthy people.

6. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Interesting @Ema. I am curious if you have some context for those of us with ME--do you know if the picture of vitamin A deficiency looks anything like what happens to us? I have been wondering this since I began experimenting with vitamin A (and D and K), but I haven't had time to look into it. My understanding of immunity is pretty basic.

Also, for the sake of cross-referencing: If anyone is interested in a somewhat broader discussion of vitamin A, see the Vitamin A thread.

merylg likes this.
  7. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I don't, sorry!

I just thought it was an interesting article in general terms...

See more popular forum discussions.